Chapter 14

I never knew that Admiral Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky had been battling with throat cancer for quite a while apparently. I knew about the legendary stories, I knew about his close friendship with Captain Maverick, I knew about all the great things, he had done for the navy. 

Which is why it felt surreal to stand here at his funeral. Iceman was seen as a legend through the navy. To me, he almost seemed untouchable. But standing here now reminded me of how no one is untouchable. Death conquers all...

It was a big funeral. Soldiers and pilots were gathered around. Iceman's family was standing next to his coffin, where Maverick stood as well. It wasn't hard to see the tears evident in his eyes. In everyone's eyes. 

We were all here. I stood in between Rooster and Jake in my uniform. Maverick walks over to the coffin and takes off his wings and place them on the top of Iceman's coffin before banging them into it and raising his arm, saluting his friend one last time. 

Soldiers fired their guns into the air before three jets flew by, covering the sky in a white cloud of smoke. It was beautiful, but so tragic.

After a little while, people slowly began to spread out. Some went home, some stood talking to Ice's family, and some stood watching his grave for a moment, allowing them to grieve. 

I may not have known Iceman personally, but he was a damn good pilot and a respected man. He would be missed. 

(RIP Iceman <3)

I was back at the base. Originally, we had gotten the day off in memory of Admiral Kazansly, but I wanted to find Maverick. I wanted to talk to him about Rooster. 

Yesterday I found out, that Rooster and Maverick had been in a pretty heavy fight about Maverick pulling Rooster's papers. Rooster had told me after I met him at the hospital. He too, wanted to check up on Phoenix and Bob. 

I don't even know why, but I felt as if I needed to talk to Maverick about it. Rooster is a friend, but he needs to clear his head for this mission. I needed to hear Maverick's side. 

I walked towards Admiral Bates' office, hoping that I would perhaps find him there. But as I was about to enter the office, I heard voices coming from inside. 

"What? You're kicking me out?" it was Maverick. 

"Iceman is no longer here to protect you, and we both know that you didn't even want this job in the first place. You're out. I will be taking over the class from now on". Cyclone. 

What was happening? They can't kick out Maverick! He is the only one who cares about our survival on the mission, the only man that can learn us how to bring everyone back home again. Without Maverick, or changes of surviving would be slim. 

This can't happen... it just can't. 

I need to make sure, it doesn't...

--

A/N

Hi! So, I know this is a really short chapter, but it wouldn't make any sense to make it longer (you'll see in the next chapter.) Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it even though I'm mixing around a bit. <3