Chapter 9

" There's that smile. It has been a long time since I've seen that," Connor had said out of astonishment.

" Today is going to be a good day. I can feel it in my bones. Don't ruin this for me Connor," I stated with enthusiasm.

" I don't want to be that person but there are some rules-" started Landon.

" That I need to follow in order to blend in with the human world. I know. You told me multiple times. Trust me I got this." I had told him with confidence.

I had finished my breakfast, gathered my things, and walked out the door. I started walking towards my car when I saw something in the woods. It looked like a man, someone tall, but still a blur. The man saw that I was looking at him and had run away. I wanted to go after him but I promised the guys that I wouldn't mess up today so I had continued to walk towards my car. I got in, started the engine, and started for school. The entire drive to school I had only one thought " What will people think of the new me?"

It took me twenty minutes to drive to school. It felt like the longest drive of my life. There were so many things that could go wrong today but I had to find happiness in the situation. I had arrived at the school more nervous than ever. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car. I could hear everyone whispering.

" Is that Nevada?"

" What is wrong with her?"

" Why is she dressed like that?"

" I thought she was dead?"

I held my head high and ignored everyone's comments. I got past the parking lot and walked into the school. People had moved out of the middle of the hallway and stared at me with confusion and anguish. People were still making comments about me but I had to learn to ignore it. I kept walking towards the counselors' office to get my new schedule for the semester and then I saw Olivia. She had an angry look on her face and I don't blame her. I had dropped off the face of the Earth and didn't talk to anyone for weeks. Olivia ran towards me, grabbed my arm ,and pulled me into the janitors closet.

" What the hell happened to you? You dropped off the face of the Earth and didn't call or text me! What the hell Nevada! I thought we were closer than that,"she said about going into a crying rage.

" I am sorry, really. I meant to call you but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I have been going through a lot these past couple of weeks," I told her in a calm manner.

" Friends don't do that to each other, especially best friends.You knew that you could come to me for ANYTHING, so why didn't you."

" It is really hard to explain. Plus, I can't say why I was gone for so long."

It was really hard for me to have this conversation with her but I had no choice.

" Oh so we're keeping secrets now and what is this new look?"

" I wish I could tell you but I can't. I'm sorry Olivia."

She stormed out of the closet almost in tears and all I could do was just stand there, alone. This was the one thing that I didn't want to go wrong today. The day continued with constant stares, murmurs, and gasps. Towards the end of 4th period, I got called into the principal's office. As I was walking towards the office I started smelling strange yet soothing things: lavender, honeysuckle, peppermint, and all things soothing to me. I had knocked on the door to be polite. Principal Penny let me in with a warm smile.

" How are you here right now? I thought you had died?"