🌟 CHAPTER 0.1 ( JENNIE'S Backstory ) 🌟

JENNIE'S POV

I was sitting outside the hospital room waiting for the doctor to come out.

"How is my mom, doctor ?" I rushed to him as soon as he came out of the room.

"She is much better at this moment. But she needs treatment as soon as possible." The doctor said sounding serious.

"What kind of treatment does she need ? And how much will it cost ?" I asked feeling helpless.

"The treatment she needs is currently not available here in Korea. You need to take her to America and yes it will cost a lot. You are just a little girl who doesn't even have a job yet. How are you going to manage all the money ?" The doctor asked patting my head.

"I don't know doctor but I'll have to do something. My mom is everything to me and I cannot afford to lose her." I said wiping the tears rolling down my cheek.

"All the best Little one. I will let you know if I have any idea on how to arrange the money. For now you can go meet your mom." Said the doctor and left for his daily patient check.

I was terrified. The thought of losing my mom made me shiver. She was the only person I had in this entire world. Dad and Mom got divorced when I was 3 years old so I don't exactly know what happened between them. The only thing that my mom told me was that he was a very bad person. Mom has been working in a small company for along time now. She always suffered from health issues, panic attacks and tiredness but neglected them and kept going to pay my tuition fees and to pay for our livelihood. I'm doing my studies in psychology. I'm in the 3rd year of it. I still have to study for 3 more years to get a job. I never had to contribute towards the earning part. Mom made sure that my studies were going on smoothly without any hindrance but now that she needs me I'll try my best and get a job for her. I have to earn the necessary money and make sure that she is okay.

"Hey, Mom. How are you feeling now ?" I asked sitting besides her and caressing her hand.

"I feel much better, sweetie. Mumma scared you so much right ? I'm so sorry baby. But don't worry I was too tired due to work that's why I collapsed. But see mommy's all fine now." Mom caressed my cheek.

"How long are you going to keep lying like this to me mom ?" I asked with teary eyes.

"What are you saying Jennie ?" Mom asked with a puzzled face.

"I know mom. The doctor told me everything." I said squeezing her hand even tighter.

She just sighed not wanting to take this conversation any further.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner mom ? We would've got you treated sooner and you wouldn't have to suffer alone for such a long time." I asked with concern.

"What did you expect me to tell you ? Jennie, mommy is sick and cannot go to work. Can you stop studies and earn money instead. Is that what you wanted me to say ?" Mom asked looking straight into my eyes.

"I would've gladly worked and earned money if it would've helped you recover." I answered.

"And that is exactly why I didn't tell you sooner." Mom said trying to get up.

"This is so selfish of you." I said slightly hitting her.

"I always want you to be happy my dear daughter. You deserve the world. Keep studying and make mummy proud one day." Mom said smiling while trying to hide her pain.

"No mom. I'm not going to listen to you anymore. You need to get better. You are the only person I need with me till the very end. I would do anything to help you recover. I've already started to look for jobs to earn and pay for your treatment." I said not listening to anything that she said.

"We need to go to America for your further treatment. Just give me a month or two mom. I promise I'll make money and get you treated." I said giving her a right hug.

"I love you Jennie. How much ever I'll try to stop you, I know you won't listen to me. I'm so sorry baby. You have to earn money at such a young age due to me." Mom said looking down.

"It's alright mom. You did everything you could to raise me. Now it's my turn to return the favour." I said wiping her tears.

"I'm so blessed to have a daughter like you, Jennie." Mom said caressing my hair.

"Now you need to get some rest mom. I'll go out and search for some jobs on my laptop." I said giving her a kiss on her forehead and leaving the room.

As soon as I came out I saw doctor Park waiting at the door.

"Oh Jennie. I was looking for you." Doctor Park said being relieved after seeing me.

"Oh what is it Mr Park ?" I asked trying not to look too heartbroken.

"I had a meeting with the rehab department team and they are looking for a girl in her 20s for a job of a home service rehabilitation nurse. I thought I'd ask you if you want to do it." Mr Park said patting my back.

"Yes Mr Park. I'll do it. I'll do anything and everything I can to raise money for my mom's treatment." I said without even giving a second thought.

"Okay then. Please fill this form and submit it at the rehab department. They'll start your training within 2-3 days and yes don't worry about your mom. She'll stay in the private room till you earn the required money. I'll take good care of her." Mr park assured me.

"Thanks a lot Mr Park. I will never forget your favour." I said being emotional.

"Everything will be alright child. Don't worry." Mr Park flashed his bright smile.

Without wasting any further time, I filled the form and submitted it to the rehab deprtment receptionist and she asked me to meet Ms Choi in room no 3.

"Excuse me, Can I speak to Ms Choi ?" I asked as I entered room no 3.

"Yes, I'm Ms Choi. You must be Jennie, right ?" She enquired.

"Yes I'm Jennie. I just filled the form for the job of the house service rehabilitation nurse." I replied.

"Okay. What is your educational qualification, Jennie ?" She shot another question at me.

"I'm in the 3rd year of my Psychology studies." I answered.

"Wonderful. We need applicants who are capable of understanding human behaviour perfectly." She said and smiled at me.

"But Jennie are you okay with sharing the same space with addicts and alcoholics ? Are you sure that you can handle them ? Cause people who apply for house service rehabilitation have nasty brats who are violent addicts at home." Ms Choi said making me scared.

"Yes ma'am I'll handle them. I have to get this job. This is the only way I'll be able to raise funds for my mom's treatment." I said trying to sound confident about my decision.

"Okay then. We'll start you training from tomorrow. Have good rest. See you tomorrow, Jennie." Ms Choi said.

"Yes ma'am. I'll be there on time." I said and left the room.

As I entered the private room where my mom was kept, I saw her sleeping peacefully.

"Don't worry Mom. You'll be fine soon. Your daughter will make sure of that." I said slightly caressing her forehead.