17 | Wife

Laura's Pov

The second we arrived at the hospital Ross was taken away from me and placed in surgery.

I was nervous- fidgety. I wasn't even sure why. My own actions were surprising me with each passing moment.

I didn't know him well. We weren't close.. not that I could say. Not in a literal sense.

But here I was- waiting for them to finish the surgery, tapping my heel on the floor of that hospital.

Thankfully, the surgery didn't take long, and I got the nod from the nurses that he would be alright.

The relief I breathed out was immense.

They pointed me to his room, and I opened the door to see him laying in bed- resting, as the heart monitor beeped.

He had an IV in his arm, and, thankfully, no oxygen mask this time.

The second the nurse saw me, she welcomed me in.

"Hi" I pressed my lips, as I approached his bed.

He was asleep. His hair a sweaty mess, and yet.. god he was so beautiful.

The sight of him relaxed, calmed me down as well.

I wasn't sure what sort of relationship, I had with this man. I think my heart knew it better than me.

Whatever this was, I'd realized one thing.

I didn't want him gone.

As I reached down for his hand- I lingered over his fingers, almost scared to touch him.

"He suffered major blood loss" the nurse spoke up, making me jump slightly at the sudden voice.

I looked up at her- getting the reminder that she was indeed still there.

"The surgery was successful, so despite the injuries he's going to be completely fine in a few days, of course, in proper care. The scars will fade in time"

I nodded, smiling gratefully "That's greats news. Thank you"

"We're keeping him in for tonight. He should get back home the next day, and you will have to take care of him for... at least the next four days I'd say. He needs a lot of rest and sleep to come back strong"

"Uh .." I looked down at him, then up at her "Me?"

"Are you not his wife?" her eyebrows narrowed, visibly confused.

"Oh no" I shook my head "We work together"

"So how are you here?" she was even more confused "Have the patient's family not been called?"

"Not that I'm aware of" I licked my lips, looking down at him.

"Does Mr. Lynch have family around?"

"I don't know" I shook my head "I don't think so"

I wasn't completely sure on his home life- but it didn't look like his family lived with him. When he talked to them on the phone that one time, he was catching up, meaning he didn't get to see them every day.

But that was only an assumption.

"Are you the closest friend of the patient at this time?" she questioned.

I hesitated, trying to think of any other familiar faces around Ross.

I couldn't think of anyone. I could only think of the men that stayed at the bar with him, but.. were they his friends? I never saw them around outside of there.