𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐑𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐠𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐟𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐞

The first thing Divyashree could comprehend was that it was LOUD. It was too loud, way too loud for her to handle. The closest thing she could compare it to was if someone placed her right next to a jet engine that was going to take off. 

Then everything hurt. Her entire body hurt, and she couldn't even force out a cry of pain. Something was pulling her in so many different directions, and the sensation of almost having her body pulled apart hurt more than her periods. She heard ripping and felt fibers tickle her arms.

My sleeves are tearing, she realized in a daze. 

Vaguely through the pain, she could hear distant screams from somewhere beneath her.

Wait... beneath her?

The girl blinked rapidly, trying to clear out her vision as she forced the pain to the back of her mind. She squinted her eyes open and let out a gasp.

HOLY SHI-

Branches and dirt swished around her at frighteningly fast velocities, cutting and nicking her on her exposed arm. She frantically waved her arms and legs, having absolutely no idea why she was in the air and caught in what looked like a tornado.

The wind whipped her hair around her face, and she had to expend a bit too much effort just to push it away. She couldn't see anything but the mass of dust, twigs, branches, and leaves. The eighteen-year-old couldn't let out a single sound, not even a cry for help. It was as if the wind had sealed her mouth shut.

A loud roar startled the teen and she flinched, hard. Her wide eyes tried to see through the tornado, trying to make out the origin of that sound. Her breathing turned rapid, and the hairs on her neck stood up. That roar...it wasn't that of any wild animal, not of a tiger's or of a lion's. 

It was something...deeper. Something that spoke of a lot more danger than just a large cat. Something.... not from earth.

Another growl made her flinch as she tried to twist her head around to find that thing before it possible devoured her. 

The screaming became louder, and if she really concentrated, she could hear the frantic yell of fear. 

Someone was calling out to another. 

It was too much.

She didn't know what was happening. She couldn't move. She couldn't see well. Everything was too loud. It was too loud. Too much.

Before Divyashree could spiral into the hole that was her anxiety, something cold slammed harshly into her body, and she flew out of the tornado. The pain was there but for a moment, and the next thing the girl knew was that she collided with something hard. 

It hurt. Everything hurt. The shock of impact dissipated a bit too quickly. She groaned, her fingers trembling slightly. She was resting on something, something that seemed to be moving very quickly. It felt like the ground, because she could feel stones and sharp objects.

Eh-?!

Turns out it wasn't the ground, because it started to shake a bit too much. Another roar cut through the air; this time awfully close to her. 

Don't tell me- I am ON whatever creature was making that sound?!

The creature shook once again, and this time the teen desperately grabbed onto what was the skin. She squinted her eyes open, only to see teal scales fading into a deep shade of sky blue. White streaks aligned at the center of the scales, all pointing in one direction. Divyashree knew a lot about the natural world, but she certainly didn't know about a scaled reptile that could fly, let alone be big enough to carry a human.