14 Forgotten Melody

Whoever does good, it is to their own benefit. And whoever does evil, it is to their own loss.

(Quran 41:46)

🥀

"What was so important that you had to miss my mother's funeral? "

"I was busy, Sadia, " saying this Asad threw his coat on the sofa before entering their room.

"Two days Asad! Two days. You haven't been home for two days. Responding to none of my calls. Do you have any idea how we were? "

He doesn't answer.

"Everybody kept asking me. I don't know what hurts me more. The absence of my mother or yours.

I needed you."

He momentarily looks at her then keeps himself busy in ruffling through his cupboard, picking his nightwear he goes into the restroom.

Another moment which felt like she had lost everything, again. Nothing on earth felt hers. She lost everything.

At this point where she needed his support, he turned away.

Every second came to her as a test. Every breath felt like punishment.

Noor and Nahyan watch Sadia sink on the ground weeping and hugging her knees to herself.

What words could comfort a person who was drowning in troubled waters. Perhaps a helping hand would do, maybe a 'sorry' would do. But when the person who could do this payed no heed, what could fill a void?

The meowing of cat knocks her back into current situation. As it walks closer to the sofa she is sitting on, she stands and walks to the kitchen and comes back with first aid box and a bowl of cat food. Cautiously placing it infront of the cat, she steps back and waits till it settles down on it's blanket and begins to eat.

"I see, you've met Winter, " Dawood says softly. He watches her every move, he had prepared himself to face her wrath but rather found her silent and not willing to have a conversation.

She hands him the first aid box and turns to walk but he stops her by her wrist. "Noor.. "

He tugs her, urging her to sit beside him, on the ground. Reluctantly giving in, she sits not facing him, eyeing the dry woods set on fire.

He doesn't let go off her hand nor does she protests. Keenly observing her clench her jaw, knowing that he did hurt her, he lowers his gaze and traces the purple veins on her wrist.