06 Blunted Blades

"Oh you who believe, seek help through patience and prayer. Surely Allah is with those who are patient. "

(Quran 2:153)

🥀

Fawad restlessly stood in the long queue to the pharmacy, people hurriedly dash through. The hospital is in an uproar, not a moment of silence seeps in. Tapping the prescription on his palm, he looks around and starts counting people until his turn. Doing this, he recalls his school days when he used to count the number of children and predict the paragraph he was going to read. When he ponders over, he concludes that life was easier back then and it was false when he thought that adults had a better life.

What a fool to have prayed for growing up soon!

Abeeha rushes through the commotion and stands in the shortest queue trying to calm Anam, Fawad looks at her struggling self. Sweat beads on her forehead, her wiggling child and prescription in her hand brought amusement to Fawad.

Though she looks tired, she manages to stay strong and multitask everything with her dainty hands. Anam jerks with uneasiness causing the prescription to fall and Abeeha frowns.

It requires strenuous effort to play the role of both mother and father, no doubt she has her parents and siblings that extend great amount of assistance but the void of a father, her husband couldn't be filled. Doing errands by herself, trying to maintain balance between studies and Anam. Her first time being a parent but it seemed like life unexpectedly pushed her further and now she couldn't turn back to see the faults or re-read few chapters to avoid mistakes. Maybe if she loved him more, he could've stayed, it wasn't her fault, she gave her best yet...

It would take months and months for her to understand that everything that happened was never her short-comings or responsibility.

Nevertheless, all she did is cry out her emotional struggles to Al Jabbar.

Struggling to bend, Fawad walks up to her. Picking up the paper, he looks at her. Her lips motion a thank you, she moves ahead as the line advances towards the counter.

"Let me hold her for a second, " offers Fawad looking at Anam's agitation.

Abeeha looks at him, analytically. What if he steals her away.. Cases of abduction and murder have been increasing, what if her only child is stolen.

Pulling out money from his pocket and extending his prescription, "how about you buy this for me and in return I'll hold her? "

With hesitation, she hands her over and she waits in the queue. Her eyes darting between him and the counter.

She briskly walks towards them. She smiles at him observing how calmly Anam nuzzles in his embrace. Returning her to Abeeha, he takes his medicines. Sparing a glance and a smile he walks away.