Chapter 14

Harry was welcomed warmly by his cousin, Lydia and her husband Reginald. They lived in a modest home in the country on a farm, and were surprised to see Harry at their door so early that morning. They had an extra room for him and Harry gave them the last of his money and told them he'd help on their farm until he could find work in the town a few hours away.

Harry was a hard worker. He was quiet and he didn't tell them the reason for his sudden appearance, but they were happy with Harry's help. He stayed for a couple of weeks, occasionally getting a carriage to the train and going into the town that was about 3 hours away from his cousin's home. Every time he was in town he imagined how far he was from Daisy now. It was about a half day's train ride away from his Daisy. He still thought of her as his but he knew better. He knew she was probably happy with Johnathan now. In fact, if Daisy was in love with him at all, this probably made it easier for her to get over him. Easier for her to move on with Johnathan. Harry decided he was doing it for her so she could be happy and be with someone who could give her a life she deserved. The idiot.

Meanwhile, Daisy was sad and no longer up for going out with Ophie and she wasn't keen on bathing as often, nor was she excited to read her books and sip on her wine after work anymore. Daisy was going through a severe depression. She'd told Johnathan in private that she wasn't interested in him courting her and she apologized to him for the confusion. Johnathan was very upset but he didn't show it to Daisy. He was sad that she didn't return his feelings but she had done nothing wrong and so he insisted to his mother and father that she keep her job. Sir Cyril was obviously fine with Daisy keeping her job but Lady Archer was a different story. She insisted on having Daisy replaced right away for her son's sake, but Johnathan demanded she stay as it wouldn't have been fair to her to lose her job simply because he fancied her. Daisy was grateful to keep the job. But she was no longer happy. She missed Harry and she regretted not having the carriage drop her off at Harry's that night instead. Had she been dropped off at Harry's she would have seen him before he left. Maybe could have spoken to him. Maybe he'd still be in her life.

A week after Harry disappeared Daisy did go to his home, but as she suspected, his roommates confirmed he'd left town in haste. She would have no way to find him. But she hoped that he would come back to her. Or write to her. But as the days turned into weeks, and then a month, and then another month, Daisy realized that Harry must not have truly loved her. He must have been gone for good.

After a couple of weeks of searching for a job, Harry found one that wasn't seasonal. It was a regular job as a book salesman. His homebase was in a large, bustling town working with a book distributor. Harry loved books and he was charming and attractive and so he was an excellent salesman. He traveled occasionally to other nearby towns to bookstores and shops to sell books. It was a decent living. The best money he'd ever made. He eventually found a single bedroom apartment above a parlor that he rented for a good price and could even afford to buy a small carriage and a strong, healthy horse. He found that he enjoyed coming home after a long day of work and drinking himself to sleep. It was a good setup for him he thought. Drinking until he passed out was the only way his mind could stop thinking about Daisy.

Often women would flirt with him and try to convince him to go out with them but Harry always declined. He was no longer interested in sex. He was uninterested in women and dating in general now. His heart had been obliterated by the only woman he'd ever love. His beautiful Daisy. He always kept her last note with him. Most days he'd open it up and read the sweet words written to him every morning. Some days, he'd open it throughout the day, many times to read it, on especially hard days when he missed her the most.

Dearest, I didn't know what the dinner was for when I accepted the invitation. You are my only.

How he wished it were true. How he missed her and longed for her. Life was barely worth living but he was getting by. He knew eventually he'd move on and forget about her and feel happiness again.