chapter 40

YOU ARE READING
A B U S I N E S S L O V E

Jessie looked at herself from every possible angle in the mirror of Julian's huge, black, masculine walk-in closet where his panoply of designer suits hung.

She took a step back, still scrutinizing herself in the mirror.

"Hello Cecilia," she whispered with a childish smile.

"Nope," she shook her head.

"Hello Cecilia!" she whispered more enthusiastically this time.

She sighed, desperate. She left the walk-in to go to the bedroom where Julian was doing sit-ups. She never understood why he always worked out in his bedroom when he had the most luxurious and complete gym she had ever seen in his complex.

"How do I look in this?" she asked him.

"Great! Just like the five other dresses you tried," he said while straining.

"Is this good enough for Cecilia? Will she judge me?" She did not even let him answer and she turned back. "You know what, I'm gonna go change!"

Julian rolled his eyes. "I hope you put that much effort when you dress to go out with me," he said.

"This is totally different!" she yelled from the walk-in. "This is my only chance to make a good impression on her, once and for all."

After their meeting, Cecilia had been absolutely intrigued by Jessie and she needed to get to know her better. Whereas she had been completely closed to ever accept Jessie, she was now realizing that this girl was here to stay and that she may have not been the 'bimbo' she thought.

Jessie had been completely stunned when she saw Cecilia's text message after their meeting inviting her out to dinner this Friday night. In fact, she was so shocked that she had squealed.

"What if she wants to kill me?!" she said running out of the closet.

Julian looked at her in a confused way. "If Cecilia wanted to kill you, you'd be dead already."

She rolled her eyes in despair. "You're not comforting at all! I am extremely nervous about tonight."

"Don't worry. I extensively talked to her about tonight."

"I think you know your sister better than I. She doesn't give a crappity crap what you tell her to do."

"If she invited you, that means she wants to be cordial."

"Or she wants to roast me non stop, without any distraction. Plus, she invited me to a place that I obviously cannot afford. Not a good start."

Julian narrowed his eyebrows. "She invited you. That means she's gonna pay."

"What if she doesn't?" she said scandalized. "I'm gonna have to spend my whole pay and probably all of my savings on this."

"I'll give you my credit card if that makes you feel better," he said in a nonchalant way.

"What?!" she said flabbergasted. "So, she can confirm that I'm a gold digger? No, thank you! I'll manage."

"I'm kind of getting jealous here. I don't think you've ever got this nervous going out with me," he said getting up.

She raised her eyebrows and shook her head. "Baby, oh baby. If you only knew. I guess it's a Moretti thing. Y'all making me stress like nobody's business."

He got closer to her, gave her a hug and a kiss on her forehead. "Don't worry, it'll go well."

***