Chap 23)

╭──────────╮𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞╰──────────╯

╭──────────╮
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫
𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞
╰──────────╯

"You alright?" Folding a medical disinfectant wipe with nimble fingers in her hands, Poppy raised the wipe and gently cleaned around the laceration on her cheek. The wet rayon sheet had inevitably turned salmon pink when her dried blood mixed with the damp wipe. She looked up through thick lashes and smiled at Soap. "You look a bit peely-wally, Pops."

Her complexion had gone marginally pale after the crash that had occurred. She had only suffered from a dislocated jaw but Simon had put it back in place for her. She had refrained from conversing verbally and put a limit to how much she should move her mouth.

Every time she spoke a single word, her jaw ached like someone was running the tip of a keen knife along her jawbone purposely slow. Even the slightest movement of her jaw when she swallowed was sore and made her expression contort into a grimace.

When Commander Graves assisted them with successful air support from the sky and ordered a helicopter to extract them from the area, they had been effortlessly flown back to Colonel Alejandro Vargas' base.

Simon and Poppy had naturally seated themselves next to one another while intimately and imperceptibly brushing their clad knees against each other.

Eventually arriving at the colonel's base, they all descended the metallic ledge that was on the side of the helicopter and stepped onto hot concrete. The sergeant herself had tugged the strap of her semi-automatic over her head carefully before clutching it against her chest.

She didn't want to risk the strap accidentally grazing her jaw while removing it.

Rodolfo had informed her of the medical building and pointed in the direction where the building itself was located. She had given him an appreciative nod and sauntered towards the building where she had her jaw examined.

Thankfully, her jaw didn't have any further damage and was perfectly fine. Her jaw was swollen but it was not at all noticeable. She had received ibuprofen to alleviate the pain, which she swallowed down gingerly with some water immediately upon being handed it.

Dargie was advised to be mindful when yawning as she couldn't open her mouth too wide or it could result in her dislocating her jaw all over again. She was also urged to eat softer food so it didn't use much moving of her jaw.

The woman who examined her jaw asked if she would like the laceration on her cheek cleaned up and closed with steri-strips. She responded that it was alright and that she could fix that up herself.