CH 17 || Need Of A Monumental Step

Aditi

******

"But Vidyut..."

"But what Aditi? He is an old acquaintance. How could you just slap him?" Vidyut wasn't yelling at me, yet, what he said was hurtful and insulting. Just because I slapped Louis, who by chance was an old ally of Vidyut, he lost his rag.

"He mistreated me," I yelled, disregarding that my voice might be heard by someone.

"Lower your voice. I don't want anyone to know what's going on behind these four walls." He seethed, gritting his teeth. I was for the first time shaken up and intimidated by Vidyut's conduct. He had left me staggered by his act, that for a moment I forgot, that the man standing in front of me was my husband, the one I was once head over heels in love with.

I was tight-lipped for a moment.

Vidyut had witnessed me hitting Louis but what he didn't see was how I was being treated. He didn't let me leave and pulled me inside one of the rooms at the end of the hallway, resulting in one of the heated verbal altercations.

"How could you expect me to stay mum when the take was on my dignity?"

The man with whom I had taken vows, the one who had promised me to always shield me, no matter what the circumstances, was rebuking me for taking an action against the one who was to molest me.

"Aditi, all I am saying is you should have come to me." He lowered his voice as if wasn't in fury a few seconds back. He was at ease, abnormally. By the prompt change of his tone it appeared, we were discussing a trivial matter.

"And then what? You've been so busy that you forgot you have one wife." I choked back my tears that were prepared to break the palisade of my self-control.

Vidyut moved closer, cupped my cheeks before he wiped my tears with his thumbs.

"Sweetheart, I am sorry, I apologize in place of him but can we discuss it later and not now." His touch made me feel disgusted more than Louis's words. I removed his hands before taking a few baby steps back and shook my head feeling disenchanted.

'How could I even fall for that man?'

That was the first question that hovered over my psyche.

He was one shallow being that had been masked all the time he was trying to woo me. The first enigmatic question was unanswered and another one was in the queue already.

'Was all his care, affection before our marriage, his game, to have me?'

I had the extreme urge to have the answer for the second. I couldn't control myself before asking him, "Tell me, why did you marry me?"

"What kind of nonsensical question is this?" Vidyut was peeved hearing me as if my question was humiliating but it wasn't even close though.

"Everything I say or do never makes sense to you, right?"

"Aditi, do not spoil my mood. I am sick of your drama." He stated he was sick of my drama. My act of fighting for justice was just a mere show-off for him. His words incited my soul to burn in the flames of his discourteous vocables, his insulting behaviour.

"Drama?" I whispered not believing it was Vidyut I was talking to. Vidyut was wholly annoyed, disinterested in the matter. He walked to me, put his handkerchief in my hand by force.

"Here, wipe your tears and smile. I request you to not create a scene, I will handle Louis." His voice was stern and his expression grim. Ordering me, which was a request for him, he walked out, leaving me behind.