CH 20 || From Threat To Ultimate Peace

Aditi

******

It was eleven in the night when I reached home. Everyone had left earlier but I stayed back. I had to talk to Aahir. Once everyone was gone I questioned Aahir why didn't he ever mentioned being my brother-in-law when he knew who I was. Aahir fumed hearing me but he didn't lash out at me. He decided to dodge the conversation, instead.

I kept on accusing him even when it wasn't his fault. It was Vidyut's responsibility to get me acquainted with the truth yet he didn't. The indisputable fact was I was scared. The truth was messing up with me but what he did next left me inarticulate.

Trapping me between the door and his arm he questioned, "Even if I would have addressed you as my brother's wife or would have mentioned something like that, would it have changed things between us."

"Tell me if you would have then never wanted to melt into my arms."

"You lied about being the masked man, the one who saved me from the biker gang," I said, trying to get an upper hand. But who was I kidding? I was well versed that I didn't stand a chance in front of him and that's what happened when he said, "I didn't lie, instead, didn't tell you. They both are different."

"They both are the same for me. It's no less than a lie." I was poking him because I was hurt.

I didn't have the right to, yet my acts were bizarre that had amazed even me. He wasn't even shocked when he had seen me with Naisha. He knew I would get to know who he was.

By all the revelations I could perceive it was a high probability of him being the one who saved me from drowning. I wanted to confirm but knowing him enough, I was mindful he won't utter a word.

Still, I asked, "Were you the one who saved me from drowning?" His expression was blank but soon his lips narrowed and his eyes were red with rage. I couldn't predict what was going on in his mind from his mein and it was damn aggravating.

I understood he won't speak up. I pushed him aside, picked up my stuff, and was about to leave when he held my hand.

"Stay."

"Stop ordering me around," I yelled, unfettering from his hold.

"Questa donna mi sta facendo impazzire"

"Aghhh! Stop with these gibberish words for God's sake." I screamed dashing out of his house.

Aahir followed me though but I ran faster. Thankfully, I found a cab before he could reach me and headed to my house.

******

With the thoughts of what happened, I was ascending the stairs. The house was eldritch quiet and the lights were dim too. Being plugged into Vidyut's records I was confident he wouldn't even care about my late arrival. I surmised he might be sleeping. Besides, I had informed him already I would be late. But I was proved wrong. I was on the second step when the lights of the living room turned on.

"Where were you?" I faced the source of the voice, who was my husband only. Vidyut was sitting on the three-seater cushioned couch with his arms crossed. A quarterly filled glass of alcohol was kept on the table. He seemed irated but I couldn't get why.

I got down and walked to him. I was a bit concerned because I had never seen him like that ever. I hadn't even questioned him if everything was alright with him as my chance to speak was snatched when I heard, "Before you lie to me about work, let me tell you I know you were not in the office."