Ch 18: Hackles raised, Eyes blind

The avengers were on edge.

At least, that was the simple way to put it. Tony thought.

They'd had two separate defensive measures rendered as jokes over the span of less than an hour. Not only had the footage of Edward's escape proven just how hysterical the Avengers' plan to keep him under surveillance was-(Sparks flying, lighting crackling around the whole hallway as metal peeled and warped, moving like it was alive, goo-guns and stunners swatted off the walls like flies-)

-but then, (and arguably worse, ) Atuma had played them all, intentionally letting himself be captured and brought out of the tower, knowing full well he could leave whenever he felt like it.

And the Avengers had fallen for it.

Sure, they had excuses. They'd been fighting other enemies. They'd had to defend the tower from Dracula's forces. Loki's presence had thrown off the team's dynamic. They'd been trying to keep track of Edward, making sure nothing happened to him, and that he didn't happen to anyone else. (and they'd failed that too, hadn't they?)

But ultimately, those weren't the things that that were causing Tony to pace back and forth across the floor in the tower common room, or the issue that had him thinking about a million miles a minute.

Why?

Teleportation was not fucking easy. Even for a supercomputer freak like Modoc, it took millions of calculations and careful calibrations. It took time to set up. It took an absurd amount of energy to power.

So why would you waste so much time and so many resources for a 'get out of jail free' card that you didn't even make good use of?

You didn't. Not unless something hadn't gone according to plan, and Tony found that idea very unlikely.

The only explanation was that Atuma had gained something. Something the Cabal thought was valuable enough to warrant a teleportation.

And that was what was driving Tony crazy. According to Jarvis, and his own thorough check-through, nothing had been taken from the tower. No weapons stolen, no files missing. Nothing. The footage of Atuma's cell showed him standing around doing nothing, then disappearing in a teleportatic shimmer. He hadn't gone anywhere, he hadn't done anything, he'd just left.

And to Tony, that could only mean one thing: Whatever Atuma had gained hadn't been something tangible.

He'd seen, or heard, or somehow gained some kind of information that the Cabal thought was immensely valuable.

And if that was the case, Tony thought dryly, they probably wouldn't know what it was until it was way too late.

"-Tony." Steve's voice shook Tony off his train of thought. Oh right, they'd been in the middle of a meeting, hadn't they?