3&4. Decisions and Farewells

A couch potato.

That's what I felt like for the past couple days, sitting and lounging on the cushions, with my leg rested at a perfectly comfortable angle, my arms draped at my sides, and food brought to me when I please.

But the thing is, I hated it.

Sitting here with absolutely nothing to do made my mind spiral, and almost go crazy. Thoughts that I should be doing something, and that I'm weak for making other people do my responsibilities. In the morning, I was supposed to help cut firewood with my father, gather breakfast with mom, and set up the stands in town to sell wheat with Seulgi.

Now, I've earned myself a holiday due to my own stupidity.

I groaned, covering my face with my hands. I craved to do anything productive, of help, or something adventurous to replace this empty feeling blanketing my brain.

I sighed, allowing my head to collapse against the wall, and my hands to fall back to my sides. My eyes flickered to the door when I heard footsteps, gradually getting louder as someone approached our hut. I almost jumped with excitement seeing Seulgi come in, holding a silver box.

I was feeling so bored, this was exactly what I needed.

"You didn't show up to the stand for the past couple days, so I assumed you'd be here." She said with a slight smirk on her face, both of us knowing the reason for her arrival.

I smiled back at her with clear irritation. "My mom wants me to stay until my leg heals."

Seulgi was clearly suppressing her laughter, yet her attempt was rather pointless, as the corners of her mouth turned upward. "I see. I guess that's what happens when you do something stupid without thinking," she mocked playfully.

"Shut up," I chuckled, rolling my eyes.

One of the most irritating things to me was knowing internally I was wrong, and or did something stupid, but being lectured about it nevertheless. It ignited a feeling of embarrassment within me, and I hated it.

It's why embarrassing events were never talked about.

"Now, I dealt with some dudes for—might I say—a fair trade for some sea-food," she explained.

My mouth watered slightly at the thought, the smell of seafood wafting into my nostrils.

"I know you're a sucker for it, so I brought some," she smiled pulling out the box from under her arm, displaying freshly cooked fish.

My eyes widened, as if I was seeing a pot of gold. "But bro, that must've been so expensive, I hate that you had to spend that much for me," I watched the fish with temptation.

Seulgi waved her hand in dismissal, striding toward the cushions. "Nonsense," she plopped down beside me, handing me a piece of cooked fish. "Besides, today is special and I almost forgot about it. I felt guilty."

My mind blanked, and my eyebrows furrowed.

Special?

Upon seeing my expression, Seulgi chuckled nervously. "It's your birthday you dimwit, you're eighteen now."

I could feel my eyebrows jump, and the realization hit. "Damn, I forgot too."

She shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Dumbass as usual," she mocked, as I dropped the fish in my mouth.

I couldn't help but smile, the taste making my tongue tingle with its rich flavour. "Thanks," I muttered, and Seulgi smiled with satisfaction.

Our attention immediately drew to the door once hearing a hesitant, yet strange knock.