King's Title

"So, let me get this straight. You want me to go along with the bride to a secret dinner with your parents and eavesdrop."

After Henry and Warren filled Calvin in on their plan and the dinner, we used the rest of that Sunday to visit Kiven Arthur at his office. It took only a few minutes for us to get invited up to his office despite how busy he was doing whatever the hell he did, and upon entering the large office I was reminded of just who we were dealing with. Gelled back auburn hair, bright green eyes, and thin eyeglasses.

It was the Kiven who voted for Anika to be executed.

I didn't want his help, but Henry was insistent.
His assistant, a beautiful woman with brown hair in a bun and blue eyes, carefully placed a cup of tea in front of him as he looked at the four of us as if we were dirt underneath his fancy alligator skin shoes.

"Precisely," Henry smiled and Arthur grabbed the woman's wrist before she could leave.
"Lara, bring me bourbon instead."

"Yes, Mr. Bragisnki," The woman quickly grabbed the teacup and disappeared out of the room without so much as another word.

"I'm assuming this is non-negotiable." Arthur settled back in his comfy chair.

"We wouldn't've come if it was," Warren responded easily.

"Of course," Arthur sighed. "Where's Calvin?"

"Busy," Henry responded.

At home so he doesn't end up hurting me accidentally. I thought and tapped my fingernails on the mahogany table. Attempting to keep Calvin inside revealed just how much of a workaholic he was. He tried so hard to convince us to tag along, but Warren brought up my safety once and that was the end of the conversation.

"Besides, just one of us is more than capable of convincing you if it comes to that," Warren responded simply. I coughed slightly, surprised by the threat. I guess I would've thought that Arthur would readily agree since they held the King's Title. Maybe becoming the actual king is what secures instant obedience. But maybe not even then.

"Alright. Assuming Lady Atham does read the Bride's mind, won't she know I'm there as long as the Bride does?"

"That's not for you to worry about," Henry replied.

Arthur stared at the two brothers for a long ten seconds before nodding with an indiscernible look on his face. Finally, his crystal blue eyes shot toward me, "How's the hybrid?"

"Anika's fine, actually." I snapped before I could help myself. Satisfaction washed over me at his look of contempt. I swear I saw Warren's lips twitch into a smile out of the corner of my eye, but I didn't look to verify. "Michael said she's doing exceptionally well."

"Is it worth the risk though?" Arthur hummed.

"Just admit you're wrong," I rolled my eyes.

"Or scared. That's even more pathetic."

"Isn't she just a doll." Arthur mused with a wry smile.

"A princess," Warren replied.

The door of the office opened again and his assistant walked inside with five glasses and the whiskey. She set the glasses down, but before she could pour the bourbon, Arthur pulled her into his lap with an easy pull. My eyebrows tugged in surprise.

The woman's face reddened with a blush and whispered, "Sir, do you need blood?"

"Later," He responded but didn't remove her from his lap. "Help yourselves if you're thirsty."

"We didn't come to play around, Arthur." Henry crossed his arms. "This isn't a joke."

"I'm not laughing," Arthur shrugged. "It's not as if I can say no, so... I'll be there. Warren has my number."