Game Over

The drive was long. The entire time, nerves ate at me, forcing me to worry about what would happen when I saw my family again. My family, whom I love so much, gifted me like an item to the Athams.

It had to be because they didn’t have any other choice. They would welcome me home. They would hug me, and we would eat leftover Christmas dinner, and we all laugh about it.

Deep in me, I knew that wasn’t the case.

I tried to think of any weird instances before I left. Anything to hint at what would happen to me. Did they know I was the sacrifice for my entire life? When they found out… did they try to stop it?

I thought of the day I left. Jamal was still cracking jokes and my mother was crying so hard. My dad was practically in tears too.

Suddenly, I felt Warren’s hand on my thigh. I stirred from my thoughts, glancing at him curiously as he squeezed. “I can feel your anxiety.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize,” Warren grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. Since I practically begged we didn’t drive to AZ in an F-ing stretch limo, we were driving in their luxurious black Escalade with white leather seats, TVs, and expensive white interior. 

Note the sarcasm

Note the sarcasm.

I glanced up at Henry, who was still nose deep in a thick book. Then at Calvin who was tapping the armrest rhythmically as he stared out the window. Then at Warren who was rubbing circles into my thumb as he tapped away on his phone.

These guys would stand out like a sore thumb.

Not only was it the car, and they’re clothes, but they were ridiculously handsome too. Literally ethereal. I don’t think it will be too much of an issue if we just stay at the house. I don’t know too many other people anyways.

All at once, the nerves hit me again. Did my parents even want to see me? Did they ever really care?

I felt Warren squeeze my hand again, and this time Henry looked up from his book with a raised eyebrow. 

“I’m fine,” I announced.

Calvin’s head popped toward me, eyes concerned. “Are you sure?”

I nodded, although I was lying.

Warren gave me a look, but I didn’t meet his gaze. Instead, I slipped my hand from his and grabbed my phone, trying to play a game to distract myself.  Eventually, I fell asleep in the seat, which was actually comfortable, might I add, and when I woke up, we were already a quarter of the way there.