Oops

It was weird after that moment. For the rest of the day, I avoided Henry like the plague. He said he hated the way I affected him, and I think it was vice versa. I prided myself on being the type of girl who wouldn’t fall for the mean boy trope, yet here I was, getting all hot and bothered by his words.

HENRY. Of all fricking people.

It pissed me off for more than one reason. Yeah, I wasn’t the type to fall for that annoying guy stereotype and I did, but I was more angry at the fact that I was proving Marlette right.

I said I didn’t like Henry. I said I didn’t want him.

He said he didn’t want me.

I guess we’re both liars.

I placed my forehead on my knees,  breathing in the permeating scent burnt vanilla soap that I used for my bath. Soaking always acted as a stress reliever for me - a slow down. I could really take in the details about myself that I’d been ignoring for the past few weeks.

Like this layer of fat that had accumulated on my stomach from my weeks of binging snacks with immortal beings that couldn’t gain weight like the little dicks they were.

I frowned. Could I run around the mansion? That would be like a whole half a mile right there. I guess it would be dangerous with the influx of strigoi.

“Where’s my princess? XANIA!”

My head snapped up. I recognized that voice. It was Warren. Which meant he and Calvin were done with whatever shit just happened at school. I slumped a bit, reminded of what happened between Henry and I two hours ago. And Calvin. They were all BROTHERS. What kind of person does that?!

I mean, it wasn’t as if Warren and I were verbally confirmed exclusive, but he sure acted like it.  

I couldn’t believe myself. A couple months ago and I wouldn’t even be noticed by guys. Let alone three. Maybe that’s why I didn’t know how to act.

“Princess!”

Warren warped right into the bathroom, still in his uniform. “Babe, oh your nak-Ow, what the fuck!?” 

“GET THE HELL OUT!”

“DID YOU JUST THROW YOUR CONDITIONER BOTTLE AT ME!?”

“WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE!?” I grabbed my soap bottle and threw it at him but he disappeared into the black dust so the bottle clattered on the tile floor. 

I stared at the fallen bottle before standing, “Okay, bath time over.” I reached for a spare towel and wrapped it around my figure as I left the bathroom. When I made it to my room, I got dressed in something comfortable and texted Jenn, asking her to send me anything I missed from class.

I almost closed my phone when my eyes found Mom.

It was like a blow to the gut. My ma and I were never really close. We didn’t get each other. That’s why it took so long for her to even send me to Eastwood. I guess it was for other reasons too. 

My finger hovered over her contact, the little picture of her scowling reminding me of the day I took it. I had just got a new phone and it was my birthday. My whole family was tired from staying up all night planning for it, and I wanted her to be my first contact. I remember her being so mad at me, saying, “Now you know I look like a hoodlum, don’t you dare!”

I took it anyways.

I think I tried to block out the memories of her, and my entire family. I think that if I scrolled down far enough, I’d find their contacts and I’d be sad all over again. I wasn’t ready to face them, but I think I needed to.