Nightmare

___

Wednesday was sleeping. Perfectly soundly. When Thing decided to ruin that. He jumped onto her bed and began furiously tapping her leg.

Wednesday's eyes flew open. "What?" she mumbled, sitting up slightly so she could see him.

"Your roommate appears to be in severe distress!" He signed, frantically pointing across the room.

Wednesday's gaze followed his pointing and she noticed Enid was not sleeping as soundly as she had been. Her roommate was tossing herself back and forth, whimpering. Stuffed animals flew off the bed and soft growls could also be heard.

Wednesday looked back at Thing. "Okay. " She said as she laid back down. Thing scrambled up to her face and flicked her forehead. Wednesday shot upright, glaring daggers. "Do that again, and you won't have any fingers to flick."

Thing shook off the threat and kept pointing at Enid. Wednesday could easily command Thing to wake Enid up himself, and she could go back to bed. But. . . she didn't want to do that. She didn't know why. Slowly, she got up and pulled over her desk chair to the side of Enid's bed.

Thing crawled up on the bed, narrowly dodging Enid's arm. "This is new." He signed.

Wednesday knew what he was getting at. "Don't even."

Thing took the hint and made his way to Enid's bedside table, safe from any flying limbs.

* * *

Several minutes later, Wednesday wondered why she was still awake, waiting for Enid to calm down. She had read plenty about nightmares and knew how they worked. Her family even had a specific, unwritten rule: Always let a nightmare pass. Never wake the person up.

It was one of her favorite unwritten rules. She very much enjoyed watching people writhe in agony as the nightmares persisted. But. . . for some god-foresaken reason. . . she really wanted to wake her roommate up. This was the only time she'd ever hated seeing someone in pain.

She reluctantly reached her hand over to Enid's shoulder when Enid suddenly shot upright on her own.

"WEDNESDAY!" she screamed, panting heavily.

"I'm right here." Wednesday said plainly, turning away.

"I was- You- We- And then- What?" Enid struggled to catch her breath and to fathom her nightmare.

"Cold sweat, teary eyes, fidgeting, whining. You had a nightmare." Wednesday glanced over at Enid, who was collecting her fallen stuffed animals. "How thrilling."

Enid wiped her eyes and took several deep breaths before looking over at Wednesday. Wednesday tried not to meet her eyes but failed. They were large and round, bugging out slightly like a lost puppy's.

"You were worried-" Enid whimpered, nearly tearing up again.

Wednesday felt a small tug in her chest. "I was already awake." she cut her off, standing. "Thing was the one who was worried."

Enid glanced at Thing, who was behind Wednesday. He gave a slight finger wag and then pointed at Wednesday. Enid let out a soft huff, smiling.

"I should let you get back to sleep." Wednesday picked up her chair and walked away to put it back.

* * *

Several more minutes later, Wednesday was sitting on her bed. She didn't understand why she wasn't tired anymore. And that sharp tugging feeling in her chest? Was she dying? If so, she was very disappointed in herself for not dying in an extraordinary way.

"Hey, Addams?" Enid called. She couldn't fall back asleep either.

"Yes, Sinclair?"

"Thank you."

Wednesday hesitated for a moment, glancing at the floor and then the ceiling. "I was simply-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Enid smiled. "You were already up."

Usually, Wednesday was very quick to tell the cold, hard truth. Today was frustratingly not one of those days. "Correct."

"Well, goodnight then." Enid called, rolling over.

"Goodnight."

* * *

Hours later, Wednesday could still not fall asleep. Something was eating at her brain. She always thought she would have liked that sensation.

Thing crawled up slowly, just enough where she could see him.

"Not. A. Word." Wednesday growled.

Thing quickly backed off in surrender and scuttled to Enid's side of the room for safety.

___