Discovery

___

"Wednesday?"

"Enid." Wednesday said softly. She felt her breathing speed up and immediately straightened.

Stop. Stop. Stop. Do not do this right now. Focus. Focus. Focus.

Enid was equally conflicted. Her mind swirled with reasons and possibilities of why Wednesday could be here. One specific one kept surfacing, but Enid purposefully shoved it back down.

"Hi!" Enid said awkwardly.

"Hello." Wednesday replied. "I'm guessing you're here for summer school?"

"Yep, unfortunately." Enid looked at her shoes. "I almost failed a class last semester, so the headmaster suggested I take a week of extra classes." She slowly looked up at Wednesday. "I'd ask why you're here but I'm not sure if I would even understand."

Wednesday hesitated. "Well, it's a case. It has regrettably led me back here."

"Regrettably?" Enid whined.

They was a full minute of silence.

Wednesday turned away from her. "I'll be going now. I was just trying to find Thing."

"I see." Enid nodded. "Good to see you again."

Wednesday just sort of nodded and fled.

* * *

Wednesday and Thing were sitting in the shade on the far side of the school.

Her mind was racing.

What is happening? Why is it happening? Why can't I relax? Why can't I focus? I need to get out of here.

"Thing, we have to leave." Wednesday stood and motioned for him to follow. Thing didn't move. "Thing, you are already on thin ice. Do not make this worse for yourself."

"Denying the truth doesn't change the facts." Thing signed.

Wednesday froze. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Thing said nothing else, but refused to move from where he was.

Wednesday sighed and tried a calmer approach. "Why were you up there in the first place?"

"I found a clue in the Nightshades' room. It was mostly random scribbles, but it mentioned both of our suspects and something about werewolves." Thing informed her.

"So you just went to question Enid without telling me first?"

"I thought it was for the best. You and Enid distract each other." Thing shrugged.

"Not another word out of you until I say so." Wednesday huffed and marched back into the school.

* * *

There was a furious knocking at the door. Enid perked up from her desk but didn't move to answer it. She had told everyone she knew that she didn't want to be bothered because she was studying. So, why would anyone be at the door?

The knocking resumed, louder and louder.

"Just a second!" Enid called, annoyed. She finished her note and made her way to the door.

She opened it and saw Wednesday glaring at her, a glare that she'd grown to love. Thing was on her shoulder, happily fidgeting.

"Uh, hi?" Enid said, trying her best to hold back the hug she wanted to give Wednesday.

"Apparently, there is a werewolf connection in the case we are following. Thing discovered it earlier today. He can fill you in." Wednesday wouldn't meet her eyes.

"Oh, okay." Enid fidgeted uncomfortably. "Wanna come in? I could get us some coffee?"

Thing hopped down and hurried into the dorm.

"That. . . would be. . . nice." Wednesday said quietly. "Four-"

"Shots of espresso. No cream, no sugar, no flavor. I remember." Enid cracked a small smile as she left Wednesday in her old dorm.

___