Departure

___

Enid was getting her school bag ready for the day when Thing appeared. He seemed to want to speak with her.

"Hey Thing! What's up?" Enid asked.

"Wednesday seems to be fond of you." Thing signed.

Enid felt her heart speed up. Her thoughts raced. What? Really? Like, really, really?! How? When? Oh god, I feel faint! Wait, fond? Fond? Fond how? What does fond mean? Like I'm a puppy? Honestly, that would make way more sense. This is Wednesday we're talking about! She isn't fond of anything.

"I think you're mistaken, Thing." Enid smiled. "She couldn't be. We're polar opposites!"

Enid's heart hurt just saying that.

Thing shrugged. Suddenly, Enid's ears perked up.

"Wednesday? Do you hear that?" Enid asked, turning to her roommate across the room.

Wednesday didn't respond. She was staring at the wall.

Enid raised an eyebrow. "Wens?"

Wednesday turned. "Yes, Enid?"

"Are you okay?" Enid asked, fidgeting nervously.

Wednesday crossed her arms. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well. . . you've been really distracted lately." Enid clarified. Wednesday frowned. "If it's about last week, we can-" Her ears perked up again. "There it is again. . ."

"There what is?" Wednesday questioned.

"You can't hear it?" Enid wondered aloud as she finished packing her bag.

Wednesday's gaze softened. "You know Enid, with your werewolf abilities, you could make a rather good spy."

Enid made a small squeal. "Really?! As good a spy as you?! OMG! We could be an ultimate crime fighting duo and then people will make a TV show about us in the future!" Enid danced around, daydreaming. "I can see it now!"

Wednesday's gaze hardened. "Nevermind."

Enid whined. "Aw, come on! Couldn't I be? Be honest!"

Wednesday thought for a full minute, which tested Enid's patience. "I suppose. With training. Many, many years of training."

"Well," Enid sighed. "I wouldn't mind years of training. As long as you were the one training me."

Wednesday raised an eyebrow. Suddenly, she felt her heart drop as she remembered her decision.

"Enid, there's something you should know. . ."

* * *

Wednesday stood just outside the front doors in her casual clothes. Enid stood beside her awkwardly, still in her school uniform.

"Have you said all your goodbyes?" Enid asked.

"Everyone who deserved to know I was leaving was told." Wednesday responded.

"I'm still here though!" Enid beamed.

"You don't have to be." Wednesday said rather coldly. "I don't need a going-away party."

Enid's ears drooped and she looked at the ground. "Right."

Wednesday glanced at her and felt the tug in her chest turn painful. She was secretly grateful that Enid was still here. She sighed deeply. "I suppose I'm still upset at the school board's decision."

Wednesday was lying. Her leaving was her decision. She had talked it over with the school board and her parents with the proposal that she was simply too dangerous for the school. Every semester that she had been there, some threat showed up and hurt students because of her.

Her, Wednesday, because she simply attended the school.

It was best if she remained secluded and away from people, being home-schooled by her parents. That way, no one would ever be hurt by her. . . unless they deserved it, of course.

Enid nodded. Suddenly, her ears perked. "Hey! You're wearing your snood!"

Wednesday looked down and realized she was indeed wearing the snood Enid had made for her.

"So I am." She said plainly, just as the family's car pulled up.

"Well, your rides here." Enid gestured to the car.

Wednesday turned to look Enid in the eyes. "Goodbye, Enid. The time I spent with you was. . . memorable."

Enid giggled. "Same here." She stopped smiling. "Goodbye Wednesday."

As she walked away, something snapped in Enid. A knot in her stomach that had been growing ever since Wednesday threatened to kill someone for her.

"Wait." Enid grasped Wednesday's jacket, stopping her.

"Enid, this is childish. You-" Wednesday started but stopped when she turned and saw Enid holding a flower.

A Black Dahila.

"Enid. . . is this-" Wednesday said softly.

"YES!" Enid half-shouted. "Exactly like the one in your locker because I put it there." Enid gasped slightly. Too late to go back now. "It was a stupid attempt to get your attention because-" Enid finally looked at Wednesday. Her eyes were actually showing emotion. "Well, I'm sure you can guess. You're the smartest person I know."

Wednesday didn't say anything for several minutes. Neither girl could meet each other's eyes.

Slowly, Wednesday took the flower from Enid and examined it. Enid's ears perked up in anticipation but drooped when she saw Wednesday simply turn away and get into her car.

* * *

Wednesday sat in the backseat, staring out the window. Thing appeared beside her, making a gesture at the flower she'd set on the seat.

Wednesday ignored him. She couldn't stop thinking about every moment Enid and her had ever shared.

It was so obvious. She hated herself for not noticing sooner. For not preparing herself.

~ ~ ~

"Whoever did this. . . is making a mistake. I have no interest in romance."

"Well, I guess I expected that."

~ ~ ~

The pain in Wednesday's chest faded as she remembered that interaction.

Enid hadn't deserved that.

"Damnit."

___