Irony

So, Leo stood, up on the stage, with Kara facing him, smiling. He continued, encouraged. "She's not a queen, she's a dictator. A cold, selfish, tyrannical dictator." Everyone had been booing, but by now, it had pretty much died down. "She doesn't deserve your love, and she most definitely doesn't deserve this crown." He looked out into the crowd, and heard scattered applause. He searched the mass of people for Emma. While he was searching her, he didn't see Kara stand up and approach him. Which was why it was especially surprising to feel Kara grab his face, and cover his lips with hers forcefully.

After breaking the kiss, Kara smiled at him, and he returned the gesture before stepping off the stage, after sweeping the crowd one last time for Emma.

As much as he enjoyed saving Kara from suffering intense pity, he'd wished it had been Emma. He especially wished it had been Emma when he got his reward for the rescue.

He himself didn't understand why he enjoyed saving everyone. What about the knight in shining armor was so appealing to him, he didn't know. Maybe it was compensating the irony, maybe it was his escape from his own struggles.  On the outside, he looked to be crippled, and physically, he was. But, on the inside, he wasn't, and he did everything he could to try and stop himself from needing to be saved. So, instead, he'd find others that needed saving and was the so appealing hero.

That was the irony in the whole situation. The broken and needy wishing to be the hero. Overcoming the situation that the universe had set  in front him. He'd been given a situation that he so drastically dreaded. He'd always wanted to be the hero, and he was given a disease. All he wanted was to save people and he was given the one thing that would stop this. His crushed dream, his dread had been handed to him on a silver platter.

Overcoming a label, and cage that the universe had put around him was deeply satisfying.

Maybe that was the drive, to destroy the irony. To ignore the universe that so completely wanted to be bowed to.