Totally Screwed

"Where've you been?" Hunter asked, as Kara defeatedly walked into his room. 

"I have searched high and low, but no condoms," she said sadly, sitting on his bed and pecking his lips. 

"No problem," Hunter said as he pulled away. "Turns out STIs are on the rise in the geriatric ward, they were handing them out like candy." Kara smiled and pulled away from him, sitting across from him on his bed. "Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for," Hunter raising his brow. 

"Look, I feel like I have to admit something to you." 

"I've seen this movie, you've got some terrible disease, right? Oh wait, that's me," he joked. "Either way we're totally screwed." 

"Yeah we are," Kara agreed. "But, the truth is, I've never been in a relationship that's lasted more than three days. And that's not because I jump in bed too quickly."

"Who said that?" Hunter asked, concerned by how serious she was being.

Kara shook her head. "Personally, I think it's because I get bored," she admitted. 

"I gotta admit something too," Hunter said, smiling sadly. "I don't actually know what day we're on, or how long this is gonna last. All we have is now, this moment, nothing else is guaranteed." He kissed her passionately, hoping to have convinced her, but she pulled away. 

"Yeah, but, isn't that true for everybody?" Hunter took his hand off her shoulder and looked down. "What, now you're mad?" Kara asked. 

"No, I've just never thought about it that way," he said, smiling. "So, maybe we should just be like the mindless masses, and see another day. Like, tomorrow?" 

"Tomorrow." Kara agreed. "Of course, I've never waited before, what's that like? Just, like a bunch of lame hand holding?" 

"Pretty much, Hunter said with a smile, grabbing her hand and lacing his fingers through hers. 

Her happiness turned to concern when she felt how warm he was. "Oh my gosh, you're burning up." 

"Nah, I'm just a little warm." Hunter went to stand up. 

"Are you sure?" she asked, concerned. 

Before Hunter could answer, he collapsed. His knees buckled, and he fell back onto his bed, passed out. Kara's eyes widened in shock, but then she leapt into action, shaking him, trying to get him to wake up. "Hunter!" She yelled. "Help! Nurse! Someone help!" 

***

Emma pushed her last box of things towards the doorway, lining it up along the wall with her other bags. 

"Hey," Leo called as he walked in. "What's going on? Are you switching rooms?" Emma ignored him. "Look," He finally said. "I know you're mad at me, I just came to say that you were wrong." She looked up at him, confusion and anger covering her face. "I'm not getting out," Leo finally said. "Apparently I need more time. But it's good, I mean, we can work this out, being here together." 

"Actually, no," Emma said, finally. "I had my meeting with Doctor Samuels, and she said that I could go. My dad's here now, he's filling out paperwork." 

Leo ran his hand over his buzzed hair, confused. "They released you?" He asked in disbelief. 

"They did," Emma said calmly, not looking at him. 

"Emma you can't go, you're still sick," Leo finally said, addressing the elephant in the room. "You can't just leave." 

Emma looked at him, blankly. "But I am." 

"Well, that's done," a man's voice said, breaking the tension in the room. Emma's father walked in, catching Leo's eye as he turned towards Emma. "You all packed up?" 

"Yes," Emma said with her usual fake smile. "Dad, this is Leo," introducing him. 

"Pleased to meet you," He said, completely oblivious to the palpable tension in the room. "So, uh, I'll get this one sweetie," He said, gesturing towards her box. He walked out, and Emma began to follow him. 

"I see you," Leo called out. Emma turned around slowly. "Emma, I know you. I know you're strong enough to do this, You just gotta, you gotta tell somebody the truth. Please," Leo pleaded with her, but was met with nothing but a blank stare. 

"You coming, sweetie?" her dad asked, from down the hall. 

"I'll be right there," she said calmly. She looked down at her red band that was around her wrist, and she slowly slipped it off. Walking past Leo, she placed it carefully on her pillow which adorned her newly made bed. "It was nice to meet you," she said simply, with only a hint of sadness in her voice. She walked away, and Leo watched as she followed her father, not once looking back.