- 10: Two Battles -

---

"...He's done what?"

Spoke Ainz Ooal Gown while looking down from his throne at the Black Rider kneeling before him. His skeletal face could not display emotions, but if it could....the face he would be making right now would be one of panic.

Talion: "My Master has gone to where Lady Shalltear is located and engaged an unknown assailant, Ainz-sama. I was told to-"

Ainz: "No...you don't need to repeat yourself. ...Are they still there?"

Talion: "Negative. They teleported away almost immediately after clashing with one another."

Ainz raised a hand to his head, considering the situation. He'd asked Arakan to wait for him, but given the situation he could understand why he would act alone. He turned his gaze up to the translucent window hovering in the air above the throne, and at Shalltear's name on the list of NPCs. It was grayed out, unlike every other NPC name on display. In Yggdrasil that had meant that the NPC in question was under some sort of mind control, but that should've been impossible for the undead Shalltear.

Ainz: "This 'unknown assailant'. I wonder if they are responsible for Shalltear's current condition? if that is the case, then whatever ability they used could potentially even affect Arakan or myself..."

Talion let an inhuman noise resembling a gasp of surprise and worry escape from beneath his mask, but he did not say anything. Instead Albedo, who had been standing beside the Throne of Kings, spoke out.

Albedo: "I urge you to reconsider allowing me to take the strike team I suggested earlier, Ainz-sama! Allow us to deal with Shalltear quickly so that we may locate Arakan-sama as soon as possible!"

Ainz was silent, thinking about what his next move should be.

Ainz: Arakan...why'd you have to act on your own? What if the foe is too much for you?

"「Message」."

He tried and failed to establish a connection to his guildmate, something he had already tried the moment he returned to Nazarick and found him missing. The message not going through was somewhat worrying.

He could not decide if he should focus on Shalltear or pursuing Arakan and his opponent...but it all likelihood one would lead to the other, so long as he acted quickly enough. In this situation, there was little time to debate while they had the chance to gain more information.

Ainz: "No, we will not kill Shalltear until I am sure of the reason for her betrayal. Still...going to her is what we should be doing right now. She was not hostile when you and Arakan arrived, correct? If that is the case, then take Albedo and I there."

Ainz stood from his throne and moved down the steps of the dais until he reached Talion, who stood as well.