(9)

It's Christmas break. I pull my bag onto the train, hearing the loud noises of the wheels scraping against the wooden floorboard. When the hallway becomes more full, I spin my bag in front of me, pushing my bag as people brush past me. I bump into a curly haired girl lingering at a carriage's door. When I get closer, I spot her draw a ragged heart and draw the initials R + L. 

She draws a few hearts around it. I look into the carriage and see the golden trio— the redhead (remind me of his name,) is staring at this desperate Gryffindor with fake love and excitement. Behind him, Potter meets my gaze. I tear my eyes away to Granger, who is conspicuously furious. I do bunny ears behind the girl at the door to cheer her up slightly. Granger grins slightly, but I pass by before I can catch the boys' reactions. 

I hurry deeper into the train. As I pass onto the other carriage, my bag comes to a sudden stop and I almost fall forward—

Two sturdy arms catch me. I look up, cheeks streaked red in embarrassment. Smirking down at me, Theo stabilises me before saying, "did you fall intentionally because you saw me behind you?"

He was behind me the whole time?

"Yeah, and I also saw your stunt with the gryffindor," he states. "It was quite hilarious."

I smile slightly. "Yeah? As expected from me."

Silence. He watches me, his smile slowly disappearing as he leans into me. I don't know how to respond, so I don't move. I know I want to be kissed, but by someone else.
Huh? Someone else?! When did I decide that?

And then he comes. Draco clears his throat, patting Theo's shoulder and shaking his head. "Sorry, but she's just not into you," he announces, sass in his tone.

Theo leans out. He rolls his eyes, then meets my gaze. "Sure about that?" He raises his hand, caresses my cheek with it. I stand there, unexpectedly watching it all happen. His fingers merely brush my cheek before Draco's grip suppresses his touch. Theo shoots him a steely look, trying to twist his way out from his grasp, but Draco holds onto his wrist a little too tightly for that. The boys share a secret conversation I am not a part of. When I lean back, distancing my face from his hand, Malfoy lets go. He then grabs my hand, pushing my suitcase along as he pulls me with him. A slight grunt escapes my lips as I look over at Theo, whis watching Draco take me away. He nods, like if he understands. As his last gesture, he sends me a dangerous wink full of hatred and malice before he disappears into the distance.

My heart is pounding in anxiety. What was that all about?

His cold fingers still lace with mine. His grip is tight, but gentle and reassuring. I've never seen Malfoy so authorative, and I confess that I am quite impressed by this side of him. When we finally get into a carriage, he pushes my suitcase onto a rack, then his own bags. I'm watching him carefully as he sits by the window, his gaze set firmly onto the adventures of the outside world.

"Sit," he demands. "Or are you going to stand the whole train ride?"

My narrowed eyes never leave his face as I do what he says. Usually, it would be the other way around. I never allow others with less worth and power boss me around, but this can be an exception. A one-time exception.

"What caused this rare side of you to get out of the dark?" I ask jokingly, leaning forward on my elbows. His blue eyes meet mine; cowardice drowns in the strong current, waves overlapping the body as authority sails forward. The tensity in his gaze makes me shudder. I've seen the same fiery look in Father's eyes- but never quite intense.

"I didn't like him doing that," he admits, jaw clenching. "The sight of him touching you disgusts me."

A quiet gasp pushes itself out of my mouth. He watches me, shifting in his seat. The slight presence of a smirk sits on his soft lips— I feel myself almost leaning forward to feel them with my own but I catch myself before I can.