(30)

I don't know how to explain how light I feel. Like a feather, perhaps, gliding slowly to the floor. Or high above the clouds, where all you can see is the bright blue sky surrounding your vision. Or how you wake up on your birthday knowing that people have prepared a surprise party for you, and you have to keep yourself from smiling as they try to lead you to it.

Everything. Every happy emotion pounces upon me like I'm prey. And I'm happy to be hit by several emotions. I'm crying tears of joy, wanting to jump up and down.

"We did it," I repeat, shaking with excitement. Things will finally be able to go my way. There's no restrictions, no sort of bind holding me back anymore. I'm free, Mattheo's free, Draco's free, we're all free to do what we want, and believe what we believe.

I pull both Mattheo and Draco into an embrace. We hug each other, and I think the two even shed a few tears, alongside mine.

"We really did," Mattheo whispers to me. I pull away, giving them both a tear-struck smile.

I look over my shoulder, see Harry, Hermione and Ron talking together near the bridge. After excusing myself, I walked over to them.

The moment she sees me, Hermione rushes to hug me. I hug her back, sharing her laughter of triumph.

"We did it!" Those words would never be old, at least not today. They'll always be new. I can't believe it, honestly. I never thought I'd be able to say those three words.

Ron and Hermione start chatting off about the victory. I stand next to Harry, who's looking over the bridge.

"It's over," I say to him. "You don't have to worry anymore."

He glances in my direction, offering me a smile. "Yes... Yes it is." I look down and see that he's holding the elder wand. He follows my gaze and nods.

"I found out something about this," he said. "It never really belonged to you."

My eyebrows raise. Really? "Then I died for no reason?" I joke, a grin spreading across my lips. He nods, returning my grin.

"You did," he said. "When Draco disarmed Professor Dumbledore, the wand belonged to him. You don't have to kill the person to take ownership. You simply have to steal it. And then I disarmed Draco. Ever since, it has belonged to me. The Elder Wand..." Harry observes it, tilting it in a few different directions before snapping it into two. The wood makes an obvious sound, a loud chop. He throws it down the bridge.

"You could have kept it," I say, confused by his action.

"Someone else would want to take it then. Voldemort was not the only one who wants power."

I tip my head in agreement. Understandable, I guess. He doesn't want to be caught in any more cycles of murder, any chase for power. He wants to take a break. He doesn't want to run anymore, or have to constantly be on guard.

"How did you do it?" Harry asks softly.

"Do what?" I ask.

"Survive." His eyes meet mine. "You died right in front of me. In my arms."

I smile slightly. "How did you survive?"

"I'm a horcrux. Voldemort killed that part of me," he responds.

I shake my head. "No, I'm not talking about that. I mean when you were a baby. How did you survive?"

Harry adjusts his glasses. "Love."

"Exactly," I say, gazing out towards the horizon. There's a sense of peace now. I don't know what to do with it. I'm so used to... The pain. "I was saved. By people who loved me."

"Love really does save," he says following my gaze. We both stare over at the sky.

Yes. Yes it does.