10: A New Life, Training For A Threat

The wasteland echoed with Ben's triumphant roar, "I'm going to be a dad!" His voice, usually calm and measured, cracked with an emotion so raw it hung heavy in the air. Bulma clung to him, their laughter mingling.

Goku, ever the embodiment of unbridled enthusiasm, whooped and punched the air in celebration. He landed an enthusiastic, albeit misplaced, congratulatory slap on Ben's back that sent Bulma sputtering against Ben's shoulder. "Congrats you two!" he boomed, grinning his goofy grin.

Vegeta, ever the stoic foil to Goku's exuberance, merely snorted, raising an eyebrow in an uncharacteristically subtle display of surprise. But the flicker of a proud smile playing on his lips betrayed his gruff exterior.

Ben, still holding Bulma close, his heart overflowing with a love he'd never dared to believe he could possess, felt a tremor of protectiveness course through him. He looked down at Bulma, her blue eyes sparkling with a mixture of excitement and nervousness, and vowed to be the best father he could be.

The celebration, though spontaneous, was short-lived. The remnants of Frieza's army still posed a threat, and the looming task of rebuilding their shattered world couldn't be ignored. Yet, as they turned to face the challenges ahead, the knowledge of new life blooming within them fueled their resolve.

Ben glanced at Bulma, her hand resting on her still-flat stomach. A Saiyan child, he thought, a child born of two worlds, of science and strength, of fiery temper and quiet resilience. A half Saiyan with Anodite genes. A smile curved his lips. This wasn't just the start of a new chapter; it was the dawn of a new world, a world he would fight to protect with every fiber of his being. Ben was going to be a father, and that changed everything.

Bulma's pregnancy unfolded amidst the chaos of rebuilding a shattered world. Her parents, Dr. Briefs and Mrs. Briefs, descended upon Capsule Corp. like benevolent tornadoes, wielding sonic screwdrivers and casseroles in equal measure. They transformed the sterile lab into a haven of plush pillows and prenatal vitamins, fussing over Bulma while subtly (not so subtly in Dr. Briefs' case) grilling Ben about his parental qualifications.

Amidst the whirlwind, Ben confessed a secret he'd long kept guarded. One evening, as the moon cast its silvery glow across the city, he held Bulma's hand, her skin surprisingly smooth against his calloused palm. "There's something you should know," he began, his voice hesitant.

Bulma tilted her head, her blue eyes shimmering with curiosity. "Shoot," she said, her usual bravado laced with a hint of vulnerability.

Ben took a deep breath. "I... I'm not entirely human."

Bulma's eyebrows shot up, but before she could protest, he elaborated. He spoke of his Anodite heritage, of the energy manipulation abilities that coursed through his veins, abilities dormant but ever-present. He explained how his powers manifested differently, as shields and cloaks rather than blasts and transformations.

Bulma listened, her initial surprise giving way to fascination. "So, our baby might be... what? Half-Saiyan, half-energy being?" she mused, a playful glint in her eyes.

Ben chuckled, the tension easing from his shoulders. "Something like that. I didn't tell you before because I never thought it was relevant."

Bulma squeezed his hand. "I understand. But it is relevant now. Our child will be unique, stronger, maybe even different. And knowing this... it makes me even more excited."

A wave of relief washed over Ben. He'd feared rejection, misunderstanding, but instead, Bulma met his confession with unwavering love and acceptance. They discussed the possibilities, the unknown terrain their child might navigate. Would they manipulate energy like a Anodite? Embrace the Saiyan's fiery might? Or forge a path entirely their own?