VII

An anxiety like this, is something I never once knew I would experience.

My heart's haste never slowing, my mind's haze never easing.

Dennis arrived literal minutes ago, with a file.
The brown, unassuming envelope that contained all the information I needed to know about my maternal grandparents' whereabouts.

"Pemba," I whisper as I read over all of Powers' findings.

Khumbul'ekhaya¹ who, when you have Powers to hunt down long lost family members.

1. [SA television program that reunites long lost family members.]

What he couldn't find was a personal number.

I assume the reason is the same as ours. We don't really keep one number for too long because we need to stay in the shadows as much as we can.

Deciding to use my throwaway sim card, I call the landline.

The line rings a few times before a deep, melodic, yet still feminine voice answers the call.

"Ocean's Way, how can I help you today," she murmurs absentmindedly.

"Hi there. Uhm, may I please speak with Sylvia Zondi. My name is Nandipha Zondi. I'm her granddaughter," I mumble quickly.

The line becomes very quiet, for an excruciatingly long minute. So quiet that I swear she stopped breathing.

"Nandipha? Zondi? Mtan'omtanam. Uwena ngempela[My grandchild. Is it really you?]," she whispers after a sharp gasp.

"Yebo Gogo, yimina [Yes grandma, it's me]," I murmur sheepishly, the word 'grandma' feeling so incredibly foreign on my tongue.

"Haibo, Nandi. Unjani ngane yami. Unjani uSindiswa? [Goodness, Nandi. How are you, my child. How is Sindiswa]," she swoons and giggles like a school girl.

"I'm okay. Bengithi nginifune ngize nginithole [I thought I should search for you guys until I found you], ma is okay but she hasn't said much about you. I thought it's time I finally met you guys," I say with a sad sigh.

"Impela sisi. Kubalulekile ukuthi uyazi imvelaphi yakho [Indeed lady. It's important to know where you come from]. Where are you staying now, I want to come and see you," she almost squeals like Leigh usually does, releasing an excited giggle.

Immediately my heart skips a beat. My legs feel slightly weak, and I know I can't tell this woman where I live.

There's already too much happening this side. Bringing her here would make it all worse.

She is still a criminal after all.

"Uyazi gogo, bengicabanga ukuthi kungaba ngcono uma mina ngindize ngize lapho, ngizonivakashela izintsukwana [You know grandma, I was thinking that maybe it would be better if I flew to you, to visit you for a few days], I don't want you worrying over plane tickets and all of that, just because of me," I state sweetly.

"Awu bakithi, mzukulu. Ungazikhathazi ngalelisalukazi [Aww shame, grandchild. Don't worry yourself about this old lady]," she chuckles.

The front door creaks open and sloppily loud, thudding footsteps make their way down the hall.

My knee jerk reaction is to wrap my hands around the handgun, that sits in a compartment in the sofa.

It's takes less than a minute for a very drunk Jayden to appear in my line of vision, but my heart had already been beating it's cage, fighting to rip out of my chest.