X

The now familiar, black, rolling mechanism that is my grandfather's wheelchair, captures my attention, as I walk down to the coast.

The wind blows through my curls and coils with a bit of a struggle, but my overheated body is grateful for the cooling sensation it brings me.

I've never been as close to the equator, moreover during summer, and I can tell I'm going to go back to South Africa needing to look for a darker foundation shade.

The view is just so relaxing, so serene that, I almost don't mind being like rotisserie chicken everyday.

The sparkling blue waters, that slightly reflects the sun's rays, blinds me momentarily, but I keep padding along towards my grandfather, Bhekifa.

The perfect blue skies that have a few clouds forming on them like blemishes, but I genuinely hope it will rain soon.

The almost inaudible laughter and chattering of children and adults in the distance, fills my ears.
Even a touch of slow jazz, roaming in the air, from a distance club somewhere.

Being here for about 3 days now has been interesting, adventurous even.

Theo has been my guide, but usually has to rush off the wherever or whatever 'work' is.

I cautiously approach my grandfather, smiling and waving when he spots me.

"Good Afternoon, Mr. Zondi," I mutter sheepishly as I lean on the tree beside him.

"So formal, Nandipha? I'm your grandfather after all," he chuckles as he eyes my nervous face.

"If I'm being honest, it's still just so new to me," I start quietly.

"But I'll try to get used to it, grandfather," I tease lightly, testing the waters with this man.

He chuckles softly, and redirects his attention to the blue waters yonder.

I can see the beach is scattered with tourists and even locals. Being mid, going on late, afternoon, I can't say I'm surprised that there are people here.

Durban has some of the most crowded beaches, so this right here  is child's play to me.

After about a minute of comfortable silence, Bhekifa pulls out a small bag.

He puts his fingers in it, and draws a sizable blunt from it.

When his eyes meet mine, they sparkle with amusement.

"You're a smoker," I state more than ask, as I raised my eyebrows, impressed.

"It's a bad habit I picked up early last year," he sighs and smiles sheepishly.

"Tough times," I inquire gently as I shift in my spot to get comfortable.

He presses the blunt between his lips and lights it using a match, causing me to chuckle quietly.

"Well, if you can call paralysis, tough times, then yes," he mutters as he puffs out a cloud of smoke.

I admit that I blink at him, and stare for a second too long, not knowing what to say.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you with that information. I'm sure you were at least curious though," he says slowly, as he puffs out another cloud of smoke, this time offering the blunt to me.

Only being a extremely occasional smoker, I fear I might cough up a storm and embarrass myself, but I take it anyway.

I put it between my lips and drag slightly, inhaling it cautiously, and then breathing it out.

A contended sigh leaves my lips as I pass the blunt back to Bhekifa.

"I wanted to ask, but I'm glad you told me first," I start smiling at him with guilt, and a tinge of embarrassment.