XXXI

A tiny little bean.

"About the size of a raspberry now," the doctor beams as she swivels the wand on my lower abdomen.
"I'd say you're about 7 weeks now."

"Ja neh [Yea wow]," I exhale with a tiny chuckle.
"I only took a test a few days ago and now I'm finding out I'm 7 weeks pregnant. Engathi khona la esijahe khona [It's like there's somewhere we're rushing to]."

"The next few months will fly by kodwa themba mina, uzowezwa [but trust me, you'll feel them]," she chuckles as she ceases her scanning and takes the wand off my stomach.
"Try and enjoy it. Relax. You know, book a weekly spa day. Pamper yourself, you're doing something incredible."

"Weekly spa days don't sound bad at all," I snicker as I relax a bit.

She chuckles as she begins to wipe away the gel lathered on my lower abdomen.

"I'll send you a list of recommendations," she jokes as she finishes up.
"Alright, mommy. I'll get these printed out for you and then you're good to go."

I giggle at the name. "Mommy."

I'm someone's mommy... Again.
Just like in that weirdly prophetic dream I had while in Mozambique. That little girl with that giant mane of hair and short and chubby little legs has stayed plastered to the inner of my eyelids, and her jovial squeals are like a tune stuck in my mind.

There is no doubt in my mind that this child will be that child, a girl. I don't care that science does not back up my claims but I feel it so deep in my core that I can't even entertain the possibility that they might be a boy.

Thinking of it makes me a touch sad, because I wish the baby's father was here for the first ultrasound with me. The person who wouldn't have any rebuttal against my completely radical stance.

The doctor hands me the images of my little roommate and bids me farewell until our next visit.

It is no secret that my child's mother is Generation Z. She grew up when smartphones started to become a thing but also had a good few years without it so they were a novelty.
Using said smartphone, I snap a few pictures of the ultrasounds.
Just as I'm about to send them to Leigh I change my mind.

I'll give her a call later on. Right now I should think of how I'm going to tell my baby's father.
Jayden for short.

Heck telling my mother that I'm pregnant, again, is going to be the most difficult. I'll definitely need Jayden to back me for that one.

I hop into my car as I think of all the choice words she probably will have for me but will refrain from saying out loud.

Marriage is going to be one of her first questions though, and I dread it, after all it's no surprise that a mother would want her daughter to have some sort of stability.

"It's complicated," are the words I'll say to her.
When all I want to say is, "We're going to discuss that as soon as the baby arrives."

"And here I thought being a part of a criminal family was going to be the hard part," I huff as I caress my tummy while I drive back to the house.

On my very short drive back I swear I see way more baby related ads, stores and billboards than usual.

Red car theory, Nandi.

I shake it off with a little snicker and eventually I enter the gates of the estate entrusted to me, my bodyguards, his family and the rest of my security team by Tinker's father.

Never am I not amazed by the beauty of the premises. It exudes generational wealth as well as new money.
To think that the family has never lived here, I always wonder why.