IV

Night began to fall but I couldn't sleep, it wasn't safe yet. I was following the Potomac River down to Aquia Harbour, if I followed the coast long enough I would reach Georgia, from there I would just have to find my way to the mountains.

I had seen a few cranks on my journey so far, not big packs though, so I wasn't too worried. I saw a single crank making its way towards me, I had to test something out so I stood on the river bank, patiently waiting as it dragged itself towards me.

As it reached me, pushing its arms out towards me trying to grab me, I moved to the side, shoving it harshly into the river besides me. I watched to see if it could swim. It was definitely trying, flailing its arms around before sinking to the bottom, never to be seen again. Okay great. They can't swim, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I took a mental note of that: water is safe.

---

I glanced at my watch as I pulled my hand to cover my eyes from the rising sun. I was sat on the river bank, poking a fire I had made with a stick. I glanced back down at the empty can of beans which sat on the grassy bank besides me. I wish I had eaten it slowly now.

I had never felt this tired and I could feel my eyelids basically closing every few seconds. I sighed as I heard another crank coming behind me. I slowly pulled myself to my feet, taking my machete, slicing through the cranks head, watching it, satisfied as it fell to the floor.

Rolling it along the floor, I stepped back as I splashed into the river, floating away with the current, taking it far from me. I kicked some dirt over my fire, putting it out before grabbing my bag, swinging it over my shoulders before continuing my walk, I knew I had to be close to the harbour now, I had been walking all day and almost all night, I had just stopped for a  couple hours to eat, now I was back on my feet.

Talking of my feet, they hurt. A lot. Actually, almost every muscle in my body hurt. I was basically begging myself to stop, to just let myself sleep but that's how you die. So I could suck it up for another few hours until I got to the harbour.

---

I was about to give up when I saw it. Or them should I say. I could feel my eyes light up as I saw the boats in the distance, accompanied with a small building. I don't know how I did it, but surely enough, I found myself running towards the building, only slowing when I reached the doors. I had to be careful here, who knew what I was going to find. I pulled out my gun and torch, being careful to go one room at a time, I had to make sure this building was clear before I made my way out to the harbour itself.

I took a sigh of relief when I found a supply room. I began grabbing anything that might be useful: a map, compass and even a couple life jackets, sure I could swim but they might come in handy. I began placing everything in a small pile next to the door towards the boats so I could carry on exploring. I next found the kitchen, there wasn't much left, a couple bottles of water and canned food, the only thing that really caught my eye was a singular share bag of salt and vinegar crisps. I chuckled to myself as I grabbed them, placing them carefully on my bag, I would definitely enjoy these later.

--- 

I stood on the wooden walkway over the water, staring at her. It was a beautiful Stingray. I threw my bag onto the deck along with my new equipment, including a couple fishing rods and some bait.

I did a quick sweep of the boat, obviously, there was nothing here. I did however find a cute little bed, underneath the deck, along with a small table, where I put all of my belongings for now.

Even though the fuel tank was big, I found myself filling up containers with more fuel from the other boats, taking every last drop with me for my journey.

I had never hotwired something so quickly in my life, I was about to be able to sleep, both eyes closed as it was going to actually be safe. I threw my head back in relief as I heard the engine roar, laughing to myself in victory. Suddenly, I found myself rather grateful my dad taught me how to hotwire cars and boats.

---

I had driven fairly far out when I dropped the anchor, dropping myself to the floor on deck, pulling my knees up to my chest as I began thinking about everything that's happened. 

In two days, I had lost my entire family, all my friends and almost all of my belongings. My only hope was that my brothers were okay, I was counting on it.

I could feel tears brimming my eyes, I was 17 in four weeks, I wasn't supposed to be running for my life on a daily basis. I shook my head, wiping my eyes with my sleeves, remembering what Merle used to tell me.
"Crying is for the weak. You're a Dixon, I'd be embarrassed to call you family if you cried" I was six when he first told me that. I had just killed my first deer, despite not wanting to obviously.

I didn't bother making any food yet. I made my way straight below deck, collapsing onto the bed which had a small blanket and pillow laid out on it. I pulled the blanket up, over my body. It didn't take long to fall asleep. It was actually instant. As soon as my head touched the pillow, I let myself fall into a dreamless, long sleep.

Word Count: 1,004
Total word count: 3,528