Chap 41)

╭──────────╮𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞╰──────────╯

╭──────────╮
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫
𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞
╰──────────╯

"You know, Dargie..." The Shadow Commander circled her, rotating his wrist and curling his hand into a fist until his cut knuckles turned snow white. "You and that goddamn lieutenant killed one of my best men." He glared furiously at her as she exhaled wearily. "Gavin was a loyal Shadow soldier! A brother."

A painfully rasping cough spluttered from Poppy's mouth as her chest heaved up and down in an erratic paradigm. The anguish was recognizable in her audible panting. She struggled to catch her breath as her arm embraced herself. As her eyes stung with unshed tears, she winced when her trembling palm came in contact with her ribs. Blinking, she let her tongue swipe her bottom lip to lick away blood that had escaped her mouth.

"You're going to die, Sergeant, by my hands." His eyes narrowed malevolently. "And after... I'm going to kill your friends and get this over with."

Both Ghost Teams had successfully achieved their instructions. Gaz, Alejandro, and Captain Price had entered the base through the tunnels that ran under the ground. The Captain had gotten hold of a helicopter with a trained Los Vaqueros pilot to help Rodolfo, Soap, Ghost, and Dargie enter the base from the gate.

They had eliminated a myriad of Shadow mercenaries with the help of air support before heading to the HQ building where Vargas suspected the Shadow Commander would be.

The colonel had been right. When they entered the pristine multi-story building, Graves was standing at the top of the stairs. When he had caught sight of them, he had done a runner while Poppy chased after him.

A flood of Shadows had her friends staying back to fight them while she pursued Graves to make sure he didn't get away. She had found him and engaged in an active shootout. The commander was the one who ran out of ammunition first. She had been close to shooting him. Poppy had pressed down on the trigger to fire but the searing bullet had grazed him because he had kicked her arm to the side.

Her pistol had been knocked to the ground, where it clattered against the floor. In return, she had hit him in the face with the end of her assault rifle. He had groaned out loud and stumbled back before rapidly recovering from being temporarily stunned by her.

They had proceeded to advance on one another. Her firearm was forcibly and purposely smacked from her tenacious grasp. Graves had booted it to the other side of the sizable room where it crashed into the wall. They both had moved toward each other and got into a hand-to-hand combat fight.

That is what was presently taking place.

The sergeant lazily tilted her head to the side and shrugged her clad shoulders. "Okay... then kill me."