Ch.6| Just to Get By

Later that Night

Lala

Today was a long day I really can't believe Monday will be here tomorrow. Then I know this week is going to go by slow because my momma said I was on punishment for the whole week.

I can't spend the night at anyone's house and can't nobody spend the night at mine.

Normally she lets me stay at Diamond's house even when I'm on punishment but she's not budging this time.

I looked at the alarm clock that was sitting on the tv stand and it read 8:35pm.

"Alright girl I'm about to cut" I told Diamond as I stood to my feet.

"Dang already?" She asked.

"Yeah, remember my mom said I'm on punishment and I better have my butt in the house by 9" I told her.

"Where's everybody at? I haven't seen them at all today."

"You know they be going to my grandma's house for Sunday dinner. There's two things' Samoans don't play about; one is church and the other one is the meal after church."

"Well, what happened to you?" she laughed.

"Haha very funny' I said, "nothing happened to me, I'm just tired of everyone expecting me to live by the same ole Island tradition. It's not me."

"Yeah, yeah what'd you do this time?" She laughed.

"My Mom caught me stealing quarters from the washer at the wash house on Figueroa " I confessed, "I didn't even know she went to that one and now if she isn't home, I have to call her to let her know when I'm leaving the house and when I return."

She stared at me for a minute and shook her head, "I don't even know why I asked."

"I live in the ghetto, but I'm not designed to eat like I do. I don't like school lunch and I'm not eating chips every day for lunch so I gotta do what I can to have money in my pocket so I can eat" I told her.

It's not right but like I said, I do what I can.

"Quarters Lala?" She laughed, "for real?"

"Hey, it's easy for you to say, I don't have nobody pumping money into my wallet the way Quincy does for you" I teased.

She instantly rolled her eyes.

"What are you not telling me?" I asked.

"Didn't you say you had to be indoors by 9?" She asked, changing the subject.

"For real what happened?" I asked.

"Keion told me that Q was coming into town tomorrow."

"Why you look so mad? Ain't that your bestie?" I laughed.

"Quincy be having me look stupid as all outdoors" she confessed, "I mean I ride hard behind him, but he never does the same for me."

"If only it didn't have to take so long for you to find this out, I've been telling you this."

"I know but that boy has a piece of my heart and I wish he'd give it back!" She yelled causing us both to laugh.

"So, what made you think of that now?" I asked.

"I put two and two together and connected Malika with the girls from the beach and when I did, I told Keion."

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed.

Diamond likes to keep her mouth hushed but she told Keion??? It's going to be some mess!

"And I know when everything hits the fan Quincy is going to choose Malika and that's fine but that'll be an end of an era" she sighed, "our friendship will officially be down the drain."