Ch. 16| To Find a Good Thing

Big Bear, Day 6/7
Lorenzo

"Hey what y'all in here doing?" I asked Calvin and Diamond as I walked in their room.

"We just got done doing Bible Study" Calvin said.

I closed the door behind me and sat on Calvin's bed.

"So tonight is the big night huh?" I whispered.

Keion is proposing to Nia tonight.

"Yessss" Diamond sang, "I'm so excited for them."

"I know that she was the one that wanted to come out here but there is nothing romantic about the snow" I laughed.

"Yes there is!" Diamond exclaimed, "the hot cocoa by the fire place as you watch the snow fall is beautiful, well at least in the hallmark movies."

"She said in the hallmark movies" Calvin laughed.

"Shut up" she said before grabbing a notebook out of her backpack.

"I thought y'all were done with Bible Study" I said.

"This is my Biology homework if you must know."

"Biology homework?" Calvin and I both said in unison.

"You brought homework on vacation? Are you serious?" I laughed.

"I thought the semester was over" Calvin chimed in.

"It is but I want to be finished with school early so I can get a job" Diamond answered, "Crenshaw has a new program where you can finish your classes as fast as you want to. I applied a while ago and they finally accepted me."

"What do you need money for?" I asked.

"When Lala and I went to the Slauson a few weeks ago I saw this beautiful royal blue dress and I tried it on just because but when it fit perfectly without any alterations, I knew it was going to make the perfect prom dress."

"How much is it?" Calvin asked.

"It costs a grip but she let me give her $85 to hold it for me and then $15 a week until I can pay the full price by May 17th but if I don't pay for the whole thing by then it'll be money down the drain."

"So what? You're not going to graduate with your class?" I asked.

"I'm going to graduate with my class but I'll have all my credits by March, instead of May" she answered, "I'm still going to walk with everyone."

"What about basketball?" I asked.

When Diamond was a freshman in a high school she was on the varsity team. That same year got a scholarship to play ball at any college of her choice.

She had been playing since elementary school but she got really serious about it in 7th grade. Many people say ball is life but it was really her life because she was starving for success.

Diamond isn't even tall but she played so well on the court, height really didn't matter to the audience, fellow team mates and even the scouts. D is a real talent but I noticed she's been putting it on the back burner.

"I quit basketball" she mumbled, "and don't tell my dad either."

"What?!" Calvin and I said in unison.

"You quit the team? For what?" I asked.

"My shoes were falling apart on the court and I needed a New Jersey and my gym bag had holes in it so I just quit because I knew my mom couldn't afford it and I didn't want to stress her out" she confessed.

"What about your scholarship?" I asked her.

"I took a college readiness course in the summer and my scores earned me a partial academic scholarship for colleges in the Midwest" she mumbled.