Ch.22|Nobody knows the trouble I've seen...

Calvin

"Aye yo Cal!" my coworker Brian yelled.

"Wassup?"

"We going out for drinks tonight man!" He exclaimed, "I know you don't drink but hot wings on me tonight."

"Nah bro I gotta get home but I'll take you up on that offer next time."

"Wifey must be buggin' you! Don't worry I understand" he laughed.

"It's not even like that" I spoke.

I'm not completely silent at work but I do keep my business to myself. I come here to work like everyone else and if they assume things about me along the way that's their business.

"Nah it's all good though, hopefully you get to come out with us next time" Brian dapped me up before going back to our group of coworkers.

I got in my car and made sure the surprise for Diamond was still sitting back on the backseat and it was.

On my lunch break I went over to the Slauson to pick up this chain I had custom made for Diamond's graduation.

While I was there I remembered she told me her prom dress was there so I stopped by the dress shop and paid the balance.

Diamond is a good person and I can really see how she reflects the love of God.

If I can sacrifice what little I have to make sure she doesn't have to spend the rest of her senior year struggling then I will.

Hopefully with this gift, she can quit this job and stop repressing information from her mom.

Stress kills but so does repression so my only hope is that she's able to live in her truth and not have to worry about who she may hurt or offend from this point forward.

After 15 minutes of driving, I was finally pulling up to her job.

I really can't wait to see the look on Diamond's face when she see's this dress. I've been thinking about it all day.

I looked at the time on the radio and it read 5:58p.m. She should be coming out soon.

I got out of the car with the box in hand and leaned on the car like I normally do when I wait for her to get off.

"Well hail mi handsome man of di night" Diamond said in a Jamaican accent.

We watched DanceHall Queen once and now she swears she's born and raised in Kingston.

"You trippin" I laughed, "wassup princess Di."

She walked up to me and I gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek, she returned the gesture.

"Why do you look like that?" She laughed.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Like you have something to tell me" she answered.

"Because I do. Close your eyes" I told her.

"Calvin you know I don't like surprises" she whined.

"Just trust me" I answered, "you're going to love this one."

I opened the box and held it in front of her.

"Open your eyes" I told her.

She opened her eyes and her jaw dropped.

"Calvin! You didn't!" She exclaimed.

She touched the dress and couldn't help but to smile.

"Put the dress down on the car real quick" she told me.