Chapter 17

I saw it. Gaara's demonic face as sand formed armor on him until he looked normal and emotionless. But now I knew what was hidden below. His bloodlust, I saw it clearly. "Well.....is that all?" Lee glances at Gai, wh nods his head. This means Lee has permission to do something again. I watch as he unwraps his arm bandages and starts running circles around Gaara at high speed. I raise my brow, wondering what is his plan. "What are you waiting for?" Gaara says impatiently. Right then Lee attacks. He kicks Gaara into the air then jumps up and begins a series of kicks, pushing him and his opponent further and further into the sky. He wraps Gaara in his bandages and spins while heading straight down to the ground.

It was only a sand clone. Lee who is weakened starts to get hit repeatedly. It looked like Gaara is toying with him. I look at the redheads face and m eyes widen. His armor was cracking slightly and his lounge darts out, licking his lips as he continues to beat up Lee. I want Lee to win somehow. No. I want him to live. He'll die if this continues. Lee somehow starts to dodge with his former lightning speed.

"Gai you didn't." Kakashi turned towards the sensei. They start discussing the inner gates of the chakra network. So that's how he is getting stronger again. Lee opens the third gate, his face turning red while a powerful blue aura surrounds him. Everyone is shocked, even his own teammate Neji. He uses the hidden lotus on Gaara once opening the fifth but he survived with using the gourd as a cushion for the fall. Both gennin were on the ground and barely moving. Gaara reached out, the sand around him snaking its way towards Lee. "Oh no" I whisper. The sand surrounds Lee's left arm and leg. "S-sand coffin" Gaara groans and clenched his fist. Lee's limbs are crushed completely by the sand.

Gaara tries to deliver the final and fatal blow but Gai intervenes. Gaara looked surprised. "But why." Gaara strains to talk. "He failed, why save him?" I see something in Gaara. Something of his past that must have been painful. "Because he's my student and is precious to me." Gai states. Gaara then turns to leave. "I quit he mutters coldly. He stops, a collective gasp. I turn my head like everyone else and see Lee is standing but......he isn't even conscious. Gai has tears rolling down his face after realizing this himself.

I see Gaara watching with a slightly confused face. He doesn't understand their bond does he? I wonder if he's okay right now. I know its odd to sorry about someone from a different village, especially one which kills without thought, but, I doubt this was how he started out like. I wonder who he really is inside. After seeing Gai embrace Lee's motionless body, Gaara made a different face. One I could only describe as envy.

He transports himself to stand next to Temari. "Good to have you back, Gaara." Temari smirks at him. Lies. If it was truly good to have him back, why are both you and Kankuro terrified. Why is that Gaara doesn't understand what's between Gai and Lee. I grit my teeth and make a hand seal. A paper message will appear in the strap holding the gourd.

Gaara pov

The boy lost in the ends but I don't understand why he was saves even though he was a failure. I felt something on my chest and look down. A folded piece of paper was in my strap. One word was written. -Kaiya- I look up at her to see her pointing at the hall next to my team. She turns and vanished down the other hall on the opposite side. She wants me to follow? I walk away from Temari and Baki.

Walking down the hall, I stop when I spot Kaiya leaning against the wall. She turned her head to look at me, her wolf ears twitched. "Gaara." She says softly. No hint of fear, shock, disgust, or hate like I was expecting. She watched my battle, she saw my change. Why is she not angry? "Are you okay right now? Any scratches past the armor of yours?" She sounded concerned, genuinely concerned about me. Its an act. Its just an act to fool me. She looked as if she knew my doubt but then smiled. "Well I suppose you have a few scrapes but nothing serious." Her hand reached out and the tips of her fingers brush my cheek.

My eyes widen and I hit her arm away. "Don't touch me" I growl at her. Kaiya still smiled and turned away. "I think I told you before, but, I think your a kind person. You're just on the wrong road. It won't be me but someone will have to make you turn around."

Turn around. Her words kept echoing in my head as I walk back to my team. The battle that started after mine had already finished. Kaiya stood alone as the Hokage tries to think of an opponent to put against her. A boy walked into the room a moment later. I recognize him from the first two tests. Apparently he didn't make it because his team opened the scrolls while he was away.

"Hiroshi. Since their is an odd amount, you will be given a second chance. Defeat Kaiya and you can move on to the finals." The boy smirks as he looks over her. "Well I can beat a girl within seconds. After I kick your doggy but into submission, wanna go out?" He asked. That wasn't a wise choice of words. Kaiya lowered her ears, her tail rising, and her sharp fangs are bared at him. A growl rolls out of her throat. "No wolf can be tamed, just try. You will be missing your hand if you dare touch me." This is another new face I haven't seen.

"When you are ready....begin"