Chapter 33

I lift my head off my paws. Gaara who had only been feigning sleep opens his eyes. "What is it?" Electric charges were in the air, large bursts of chakra can be felt faintly. Is Sasuke refusing to return? Is he fighting Naruto. "We need to hurry...Naruto....." I look at Lee who was sleeping and decide to leave him to rest. "Stay here Gaara, watch over lee." I didn't give him the time to protest.

I take off, large feet thudding against the earth. No. Another person I care for. Will not die with me around! As I ran, that was all that went through my mind. I see a bright orb of light in the distance, my eyes widen and try to run faster. Naruto! I knew Kiba and Shikamaru was okay but, I didn't know what happened to Choji or Neji, I pray that they are safe. Something wet splashed onto my nose. Rain. The last time it rained was at Papas funeral. This is a bad omen.

It started to pour down harder. I reached the waterfall where the statues of Madara and Hashirama were carved into the stone. Naruto was laying lifeless on the ground. Shifting into my normal self, I jumped down. "Naruto!" Running over to him, I hold up the top half of his body. "Naruto wake up." I call out, my voice was already starting to quake. Just then Pakun and Kakashi arrives. "Am I too late." I hear the silver haired jounin say. The small dog padded over "Naruto!" He walked around and sat down by the blondes side. "How did it come to this."

As Kakashi walked over, I felt something. I lower my wolf ear to his chest and hear a faint but strong beating heart. "Thank goodness." I sigh in relief. Naruto was one of my first friends, he helped me open up even more just by being close to him. I later befriended Neji, Lee, and Tenten after the exam all thanks to Naruto and his outgoing personality. My fear of people was also completely gone. Well at least it was for the village. Kakashi lifted up the boy's unconscious form. "Naruto....Knowing you, you must have put up quite a fight." All four of us jump up onto the cliff and look down at the river.

"The final valley huh? to think Sasuke and Naruto will battle it out here. Its pretty ironic don't you think." Pakun says. I look at the river then at Kakashi. "I usually would hate to fight. But seeing how in times there is no choice.....I should stop being a pacifist about it." I mumbled. He gave me a sad close eyed smile. "You were raised by the third Hokage, its understandable that you are like that. But its good that you understand now. Shinobi can not hide from killing. Even if its a friend, a ninja will have to be prepared to fight at any time."

I look up at the statues. "Like how they founded the village together but still fought each other?" Kakashi nodded. "Come, we have to get to the hospital." The storm had ended as if on cue. So the four of us headed off, I walk a few feet behind them. "Hehehe. things have taken an interesting turn haven't they" A dark voice laughed some distance behind us. I halt and turn my head to see the faint silhouette of a person standing there. He had something around his head that looked like a venus fly trap. But the first thing that caught my attention was the red clouds on the cloak he more. An akatsuki! I turn and quickly run back to Kakashi, trying to forget what I have seen. I knew those cloaks well, they were worn by my parents murderers.

Damn. I thought my nightmares would be gone after the exams, but now after seeing that, they will definitely come back to haunt me.

_______________________________________________________________

On our way back I found out that Choji and Neji were in critical condition, Kiba was slightly better, and Shikamaru was only suffering from minor injuries. All had been rushed to the hospital. I didn't hear anything about Lee but I assume Gaara took care of it. I now sit in a visiting chair beside Naruto's bed. While the nurses were busy, I helped wrap his body in bandages. I never seen him look so depressed. The blonde's usual bright and shining blue eyes were dull and lifeless.