Chapter 20

There was a festival for the people starting soon. With the arrival of citizens of other lands, the shopping district wants to make a lot of money. Though it was a light hearted event, luck did not fall on the jounin who gathered for a meeting with the Hokage and two elders. Kaiya was among them but disguised. Her hair was dyed brown temporarily, her ears were covered by the hood of her black jacket, she wore the grey dress with knee length layered ruffled skirt that Ino got her, and to hide the tail, she used a transformation jutsu so it turned into a belt that she wrapped around her waist. She stood right next to Hayate's lover. The fourteen year olds golden eyes looked up at the violet haired ANBU with concern.

Kaiya pov

I clench my fists tightly at my sides and look straight in front of me. "Some of you may not know yet, but the body of Hayate Gekko was found near kikyo castle." I gasp along with other and turn my head to look at the anbu beside me. She was trembling with distraught. I reach over and grab her hand tightly. "I'm so sorry Yugao." I whisper softly. "Its just....that I was the one to find his body...." Yugao said in a shaky voice. I could not believe it. I just saw him the night before. My eyes squeeze shut as I listen to papa and the whisperings of the other shinobi. "What? Hayate?" Asu-nii said quietly. Kurenai furrowed her brow. "He-he's dead?" Anko leaned forward and glanced at Kakashi who knelt at her right. "This has to be Orochimaru's doing." She mutters.

Kakashi shook his head. "As likely as that seems, we shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. We think Hayate was on the trail of a sound village spy named Kabuto Yakushi." My ears shifted under my hood. Kabuto! I knew he was bad the moment I got my first whiff of him. A growl rumbled in my thought, causing a few heads to turn, looking for the source. Kakashi zeroed in on me in no time with his single visible eye widening. If I saw his face, he would be giving me the Why-the-hell-are-you-in-a-jounin-meeting look. Long name yes but that's what it would be. I turn my eyes towards papa quickly.

When a man in front of Kakashi opted to cancel the exams, papa declined to inform that Orochimaru had sent a warning not to. "IN any case, until we're able to find out more, this is just idle speculation." The female village elder spoke next. "We have dispatched anbu black ops to every village to gather information. We'd be fools to act too hastily." Papa nods. "And beside" A grin quirks the ends of his mouth. "I have complete trust in every one of you. For when the time comes, we must gather the strength of the village and fight if we must." This set the shinobi to be determined. When we were dismissed, Kakashi hurried over and pulled me aside. "Why was a gennin like you in there? And how come the Hokage and the anbu next to you didn't care?"

I raise my brow at him. True, I haven't been to one before and its suspicious of me to be in there especially if I look like a mere gennin. I let out a long sigh. "Kakashi. I have the chakra reserves and skill of a jounin. The only thing I lack is experience. That is why I'm in the exams and Asuma got permission for me to come to meetings." His one eye widened. "You never said that before. I didn't sense that much chakra from you either." I wanted to laugh at his shock. "Because I can lower it down a few levels."

Asuma walked over with a smile, lit cigarette in his teeth. I groaned and pinched my nose to not smell the awful fumes. "Hey Kaiya. Nice disguise you had, next time change your eyes." I turn away from Kakashi and grin wolfishly. "Asu-nii! What's up?" I yip cheerfully. I release the genjutsu on my tail and pull down my hood. "I'm going to get Choji and Shikamaru so we can eat barbecue. Wanna come?" My mouth watered. "Meat! Absolutely! Let me run home real quick to wash out this dye and then I'll meet you there." With that I leap onto the rooftop and jump across the village. With a grin on my face I lift my head and howl with excitement. "Awoooooo"

__________________________________________________

After washing out the brown in my hair, I quickly leave the apartment. My feet pads against the dirt as I run. I'm about to jump onto a roof but I halt when seeing a flash of red. I turn around and see Gaara sitting in an alley, his eyes closed. I look around and see that his team isn't around at all. Remembering the other night where he killed Dozu made me hesitant to approach him but I begin to think of how boring it is to just sit there doing nothing.

With a smile I walk over and kneel in front of him. His eyes remained closed. I lift my hand and try to poke his cheek. "Don't try it, I'm not asleep." The cold rasp of his breathy voice made me jump backwards. I look up to see his seafoam green eyes now open and looking right at me. "Oh sorry just checking. Hey why are you alone today?" I ask. He glared at me. "Why?"

Gaara pov

I sensed someone enter the alley. The chakra was strong and I knew who it was. It was that Kaiya girl. Her footsteps sounded hesitant but she soon approached. I felt a warmth hover near my face. At first I was not worried, my sand would stop her. But then I remembered that it doesn't work around this girl. My eyes snap open to see her finger coming closer to me. "Don't try it, I'm not asleep." I send her a warning glare.

I already had one assassination attempt, if she tried anything, I would kill her. She stood up and brushed dirt off her tail. "No reason. Just thought you would be training with your friends." She must mean Temari and Kankuro. "I don't need to train. They are not my friends." I state coldly. Kaiya looked straight at me. "Well....I'm going to go eat barbecue. Its boring to be alone right? You can come if you want." Now she is trying to lure me. No....Despite her abilities, I don't believe she has it in her to kill. She didn't hesitate to spare her opponents life in the exam preliminary round. She deliberately stopped her attack right before she hit him.

"I don't care for such things." I say before transporting myself away using my sand. Trying to befriend me? I do not care for such things. I don't need such bonds.

I look down at the alley where I was moments ago. She was walking away from it. I see her look behind her. Her face was. Sad? Hurt? Disappointed?

Why did she have that look on her face?