chapter 24

It was one of those days where you lay around in your fox form as Cyno reads his books in the library. Almost routine at this point, the silver hair scholar would plop you on the table and sit on his usual chair. Usually the afternoon would be spent with you taking a nap and Cyno enjoying his quiet read.

Usually...

The Sumeru library is huge. Perhaps an understatement to its size. Even with Cyno's amount of expertise, it wasn't always easy finding a book. When the man left to find his new read, it usually meant he wouldn't come back for a few minutes. Normally it wouldn't matter, the library was only occupied by scholars who didn't care for anything else besides scriptures and writings.

However this time, you seem to have caught the eye of a certain individual.

As Al-haitham wonders through the library to look for his new topic of interest, he finds a certain creature catching his attention.

Kitsune foxes were unheard of in Sumeru, they were even rare in Inazuma. As someone who has studied the world up and down, he couldn't pass up this opportunity.

"Why would a divine create be sleeping on the tables of the academia library?" That question was the first of many that appeared in the scribe's mind.

Al-haitham slowly approaches you. Though he wasn't the most familiar with your kind, you didn't seem hostile so he assumed it would be safe .

The scribe extends his hand towards you carefully, his fingers inching closer and closer to your fur when suddenly someone intercepts his attempt.

"What do you think you're doing" Cyno asks with a glare. Blocking Al-haitham from you with his body as he questions the man.

"Hm?" Al-haitham hums. "I was just wondering about that." He gestures at you with his eyes. "What is a kitsune fox doing in the middle of the sumeru library?"

"None of your business" Cyno replies cooly. "This fox belongs to me so you should kindly leave."

"Oh?" This peaked the scribe's interests. "How did you gain possession of an Inazuma kitsune?

The two began to banter back and fourth. Al-haitham wanted to interact with Y/N to learn more about the species while Cyno would not let him approach the fox. The two were so loud that they woke the sleeping kitsune from her slumber. Not a good sign.

Transforming out of her fox form and into her human form. You appeared between the two arguing men, effectively separating them.

"Can't I get a wink of sleep with you two around?" You snap.

Cyno can only sigh as he offers you a mumble of an apology while Al-haitham had a face of confusion. The scribe studied you up and down as you moved next to the General, standing next to Cyno as you wore a displeased expression.

"A shapeshifter?" Al-haitham asks. Raising his eyebrows in interest as Cyno quickly puts a hand out in front of you.

"I'm Y/N." You introduce yourself "I would say it's nice to meet you but you woke me from my nap so... please go away." You continue with a smile.

"How particular, so it knows how to speak too." Al-haitham remarks.

This guy was really getting on your nerves now. Being referred to as an animal would be considered a great level of disrespect in Inazuma. But being labelled as an "it" an object? That was unheard of.

Before you can only your mouth and absolutely devour the man with insults, Cyno interjected. "Y/N is a person and you will treat her as such." He snaps. "If you want to disrespect her you'll have to answer to me."

Before the scribe can make another comment. Cyno quickly grabs onto your wrist and pulls you away. Out of the library. Out of Al-Haitham's range.

"You sure dragged me out of there fast." You joke. Laughing as Cyno speed walked you two out of the library.

"Al-Haitham doesn't know when to quit. Sometimes the best way to avoid a fight is to walk away calmly." Cyno replies.

"Mhmm."

"I have errands to run later anyways, I guess it'll finish faster if I start now. A blonde traveler has been spotted in the region, the academia wants me to investigate." Cyno says.

"Sounds interesting." you murmur. "Something tells me this traveler is pretty important."

"I agree, my gut tells me that I'll discover something interesting."

"Then I'll come along too!" You decide. "I want to know what this traveler is all about."

Cyno pauses and looks at you, contemplating if he should let you join him on the mission. Usually you would stay back home or wander around town, it was rare for you to insist on following him.

"I guess you can join me." He decides.

"You guess? You mean you'll love to have me!"

"Sure..."

"I love you too!" you sing

Fun facts:

- Cyno and Al-haitham would have started a cat fight if you hadn't woken up on time

- The librarians are thankful that you stopped the two

End of Book 1
Book 2 coming out soon :)