Chapter 6: ALBA & ERIS

"But I am taking the floor," Eris answered, unbuttoning his wet shirt. "You want to use the bathroom first?"

Alba was startled about his....kindness? And there was a bathroom? In this tiny, muddy hut?

"Erm, yes, thanks."

Before heading for the bathroom, Alba quickly made her way over to the window to glimpse outside. "I think it won't be too bad, early autumn storms are rather calm," she whispered more to herself than to the High Lord who all of a sudden stood behind her.

"Too bad it is late summer, precious." Alba turned towards the male behind her. "You are mistaken, it is only late summer in the Solar Courts. For over 500 years I have lived in sole autumn, this is still summer." Alba's brows furrowed on their own accord. He really liked to get on her nerves.

"If you say so, I believe it is early autumn." Obviously she was right. The weather, the smell — everything told her it was the start of autumn....her favourite season.

"You should believe the High Lord, Lady Alba." A taunting tone laced his voice. He was strutting up to her, his hands linked behind his back.

"Hm, no. You are not my High Lord, so I don't believe you," she countered, lifting her gaze to his eyes.

"I could be."

That made everything stop inside of Alba. What the hell was he aiming at? Furrowing her brows even more and now fully turning towards Eris, her mouth opened but no words came out.

"I said I could be." The High Lord smirked, having noticed her disbelieving and utterly irritated look.

"If I marry you for example, I would be your High Lord, my lady."

A loud, cold laugh escaped Alba's lips before she took a step forward. Why she had taken a step forward, she had no idea.

"And what makes you think that I even consider marrying you? You know I am engaged to a great male," she snorted, laughing coldly while shaking her head. To that Eris took another step forward.

His warm hand curled around her wrist, making the breath hitch in her throat. He stepped even closer, until he was only mere inches away from Alba. Her body went taut, rooted to the ground, she did not move away from him. The breathed the same air, hearts beating with the same rhythm.

One hand still holding her wrist, the fingers of his other hand curled under her chin, lifting it slightly. She gazed into those...those auburn eyes, shining in all colours of autumn.

"Fuck your fiancé. Do you think I haven't noticed how you look at me. Do you really think I haven't noticed those longing, lust-filled gazes?" His index and middle finger trailed down her neck, making her swallow hard, her chest heaving with every breath she took.

But Alba held his stare, looking up at him with a clenched jaw.

"Do you think I haven't noticed how your scent changes when I am near you? Changes into something so sweet, so tempting and infatuating."

Being so occupied with staring at him and not turning fully molten she hadn't even noticed that he had walked them backwards, her back suddenly touching the window sill. Slowly, his long fingers traced her jaw, moving further up and brushing over her lower lip.

"You are a dreamer, Vanserra," Alba finally gritted out, curling her fingers towards her palm.

"You don't hate, my lady, you want me. And especially letting me so shamelessly touch you right now has proven that."

Anger and shame snapped her back to reality. She ripped her hand out his hold and pushed him off of her. "Dream on. I am taking a bath now, hoping the early autumn storm is over soon," she growled under her breath, fiercely stomping her feet into the ground and heading towards the bathroom, the loud, raw laugh that escaped the High Lord not going unnoticed. And damn him...how dare he say those things and how dare he....be so damn right about everything he had said. Alba did look at him longingly, but she could...no, would never admit that. She was engaged, soon to be married and anyways would never be good enough for someone like Eris—for a High Lord.