Chapter 2: ERIS

There was only person in the whole entire world that made Eris Vanserra's blood boil and that was Alba D'Ora—Helion's Second-in-Command. She did not only make his blood boil, she also fueled it with every spoken word that came out of her mouth.

And then...maybe he had bumped into her on accident...maybe also with his full intention to do so.

He had wanted her to snap at him, loved it when she snapped at him and he could see the fire burn in her eyes. It did something to him which even the High Lord himself found very twisted and weird.

And that....that eye contact...he had no words. Had the bond just snapped or what the hell was going on? he asked himself.

Everything in his body was screaming for her—every fiber screamed with want and need and no longer with hate. Touch her. Kiss her. Make her shut up and make her his.

And that had been going on for quite some time—longer than he had found healthy and longer than he had wanted to admit. What the actual hell? On top of all his new High Lord duties this really was not what he needed that now maybe the bond had snapped and there was really no escaping his feelings for her. But there was also no way he could have her, make her his. She was Helion's Second-in-Command, a person whom he nearly disliked as much as Alba.

And then— fuck, he had just nearly walked into a sentry, trying to look back over his shoulder at Alba. This time it would really have been an accident, but...

"Eris," his mother chirped, hurdling over to him.

"I am just here to pick up some papers and bring some here, I will be gone any minute," the new High Lord quickly told her, lifting his hand and waving it through the air to make a stake of parchments appear on the table.

"First, you will give your mother a proper hug and at least one kiss on her cheek and then we talk about business and then you can talk about leaving, Eris Lochlan Vanserra."

Eris cringed at his second name which was only ever used by his mother. But soon a smile appeared on his face when he folded her into his arms and placed a kiss to the crown of her head. "Sorry," he whispered in such a boyish voice it made himself cringe.

"Yes, yes. My son the busy High Lord, how are you doing, my love?" Shrugging one shoulder Eris explained to her that everything was quite alright and that he was indeed doing very well—only partly a lie. He was doing well and the Autumn Court liked their High Lord, but it did not mean that many times he found himself overwhelmed and stressed out with everything he had to do.

On days were he was snowed under with work he often wished to simply have someone at his side—a mate or a High Lady— who supported him or at least whom he could cuddle up at night and simply forget about everything that was bothering him.

But that wasn't for him. Love wasn't for him. Not with his reputation —the oh-so-cruel Eris Vanssera— or for the fact that he simply had no time for love. And he simply had no time to think about Alba. And then he caught himself gazing out of the door were the said female just walked upstairs, the long brown curls flowing behind her and her hips swaying with every movement.

"It really is a shame you do not get along with Alba. She is an amazing Second-in-Command, so smart and has so much knowledge of politics and court business. If you let her she could definitely assist you a bit as well. I am sure she would say yes."
"I don't need help and especially not from someone like her."

"I simply ignore the tone in which you said that, High Lord," Helion cut in, walking up to his mate. Alba definitely held some special place in the High Lord of Day's heart and life—Eris had noticed that very early. Although he dearly wanted to know why they were that close and why she mattered so much to him, he never dared ask.