Chapter 12: ALBA

*warning: this chapter will have abuse and domestic violence in it*

It was all a blur. There was only the blood pumping in her ears. Karzine was talking to her but she heard nothing. Alba only stared at him, tears blurring her vision.

"I always knew you were a slut, but that is even low for you," he spat into her face and she accepted it. He was not wrong. It was what she was, Alba thought. She had betrayed him. He had never treated her well, but she had betrayed him.

"I am sorry."
"Stuff the sorry up your ass. Maybe the High Lord wants to help you with it."

"Karzine, I am sorry. Please. Please, listen to me," Alba tried again. Lord Karzine's face was nothing but sinister threat—she had never seen him so angry before. A vein popped up on his forehead, his face turning red and he balled his hands into fists at his sides.
"You humiliated me in front of everyone. My fiancée who lets someone else fuck her," Karzine spat into Alba's face. She tried to grab his arm, burning tears rolling down her cheeks. Karzine shoved her away and met her gaze.

"Please, let me explain. Let us talk," Alba pleaded, not minding at all how pathetic she looked. She did not even know why she wanted to explain everything to him. But she knew if she lost him, she had nothing left. Her life would crumble and—

Karzine turned and headed for the door. Alba wanted to follow but was held back by someone grabbing her arm. She spun around and met Eris's pitiful gaze. "I hate you. You destroyed everything. You are a foul bastard, I hope you are happy now. Now that you destroyed my life!" she shouted, her finger poking into the High Lord's chest. Eris startled, overwhelmed by her reaction, yet he could not blame her.

"Alba, I am—"
"What? Sorry? I could laugh. As if you are sorry. As if you ever think about anyone else but you," Alba hissed and took one step closer to the High Lord. She could feel his heart pump in his chest. Her own blood boiled, blazing lava running through her veins.

"You can go to hell, Eris Vanserra. You ruined everything. You ruined...me!" With that a sob left Alba.

"That is not true. That cannot be true," Leta breathlessly expressed, her and Helion now nearing the quarreling duo. Alba met her gaze, tears brimming her eyes, and shook her head.

"I am so sorry," she breathed, voice barely above a whisper. She had no idea if Leta had heard it. Did not know if she would ever forgive her. She would understand if she did not. If no one would ever forgive her.

She ran towards the door, dashed outside and sprinted through the corridors of the palace. Everyone knew. Everyone knew that she had betrayed her fiancé—that she was indeed a whore. Shame coated her insides when she ran through the gardens of the palace, hoping to find her fiancé somewhere. She had no idea why she wanted to explain herself, why she wanted to make up. She did not even want to be with him anymore, but she decided that he needed an explanation. She had to explain it to him.

Her voice was hoarse when she shouted his name, tears streaming down her cheeks and blurring her vision. "Karzine!" Alba shouted once again. She could not return to the castle, afraid that Eris might still be there, afraid of what Lucien would say, what Leta would say. She could not do it—could not face them. She knew she had not only hurt Karzine, she had hurt Leta, she had hurt Helion, Lucien and Elain. And most importantly she had hurt Eris. She could feel it. There was a bond and through this bond, nothing but pain, dread and agony reached her. She wished she could reach out, take back those words that had hurt him so much, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. He had revealed their secret, he was the one to destroy everything and this was unforgivable.

"Karzine!" Alba tried once again, pleading lacing her voice. She had no idea why she even tried shouting it somewhere out in the Day Court. The path she was on was dry, dust swirling around when she ran over it. Tears fell down to the ground, Alba wailed and clutched her belly tightly. It hurt so much.