Chapter 15: ALBA

"And your plan now is?" Marcialla queried. Alba was already pulling her pants up her legs, hurdling through the room to find a shirt and shoes. "I am going to find him. We are going to find him."

Her heart was beating rapidly, horror sinking its icy claws into her skin. Alba shuddered, her gut twisting and churning. She felt like vomiting, like exploding. Regret spread throughout her whole body, made the back of her mouth taste bitter. Never in her life had she ever felt that bad before. Never had she hated herself that much. It was all her fault, she knew it. She blamed herself for it. She had hurt him. And now he was hurt. Had hurt himself, she had no idea, only that he was hurt. And if it was too bad, if he —the Mother forbid— died, she would never forgave herself for it. It would haunt her for the rest of her life and she knew she could never be happy again.

"We?"
"Yes, we, Marci. Please. I need you. You can winnow, I cannot."

"You are lucky that you are my best friend and that I love you so much, but I swear if you don't right then and there accept this damn bond, I will—"
"Marci," Alba reprimanded, finally pulling her shirt over her head.

"What? You are mates and you are perfect for each other—both insufferable," Marcialla grumbled and hopped of the bed.

"Marci!"

"Yes, yes." Marcialla reluctantly walked over to Alba's dresser and started for something she could wear. She picked out a jumper and a pair of leggings.

Alba drew in a deep breath and turned to Marcialla. What if he is badly injured?"
"We will bring him to a healer."
"And what if he—"
"Shut up. He is not dead and you know it. You would feel it." Marcialla took a step forward and poked her finger into Alba's left breast. "Right here. The bond is still there meaning the High Lord is still alive. Now stop being pessimistic, it won't do any good. We have to find him now, where is the question and how?"

Alba bit down on her lip and closed her eyes. She tried to figure out a way to make out where he was. She had to concentrate, maybe she could feel it somehow. She had to feel it. He was her mate, she had to be able to find him.
Alba exhaled slowly, her fingers curled towards her palms.

"Autumn Court, that for sure, but I have no idea how to find him."
Marcialla released a frustrated sigh and looked around in the room. "What about...we start at his palace or where he lives? You know where he lives?"
"Yes, the place is called Forest House." Alba did not quite remember from where she knew that, but she hoped it would be good for anything.

"I have only been to Autumn once so, I will try to winnow to that place, this huge mansion, and maybe it is said Forest House?"

Alba nodded, and when questioning her best friend why she had been to the Autumn Court Marcialla explained that she had went there for spices. Autumn Court had the best spices after all.

It was then that they decided to just follow Marci's plan and winnow to the Forest House.

Swirls and curls of white appeared around the females, it smelled like fresh linen and lilies. Alba found herself mesmerised by her best friends magic. And even though she loved Marci more than most people in the whole entire a world, a kernel of jealousy bloomed in her chest. She wished she could winnow too—had never learned it and thought that she was incapable.

Alba thought that she was incapable of so many things, was not good for anything. She only had her beauty and that was what everyone had always told her.

Marcialla held tightly onto her friend until they landed in the Autumn Court.

Drawing in a deep breath, Alba smelled wood, rain, grass and spices. She loved it. She loved Autumn, she loved the smell and she loved who it reminded her of. At the thought of Eris, her stomach dropped low, twisting and churning and her throat dried out.