Chapter 7: Somewhere

If there is one thing positive about me, it's that I wake up early. I never wake up past ten, because too much sleep gives me a massive headache for the rest of the day. I also admit I'm not a big fan of afternoon naps. It's kinda like one of my principles in life to avoid allowing myself to get bored.

It came to no surprise when my body ordered me to wake up from an extremely uncomfortable sleep. I slowly opened my eyes and squinted at the brightness that turned out to be the light from the ceiling. Looks like I forgot to turn it off last night. I found myself in a small room with beige walls. I sat up and kicked the soft white sheets off my legs. I grabbed my phone from beside my pillow to see that it was 9:30 a.m. and I missed a call from my mother. Oh, so she hasn't exactly ignored my call from about 36 hours ago. Aside from that, there was nothing. Of course I don't get a lot of messages.

I scrambled out of bed and decided to take a look at the window that was in front of what seemed like a mahogany writing desk. I redrew the curtains and I was stunned at the view. Tall buildings of every size ricocheted upwards from a distance. Their glass windows reflected the pale gray color of the chilly morning sky. The streets below were wet from the heavy rain last night. I heard that the clouds were rumbling, groaning for the heavy weight the rain carried, whining to pour it down on the earth. Chimneys of some infrastructures emitted gray smoke which polluted the air a great deal. So much for saving Mother Earth. Satellite dishes rested on flat rooftops. I can barely see any other colors apart from shades of gray with a sprinkle of red from brick walls and the occasional green from trees.

The events of the night before came back to me. I packed a single backpack and caught a flight headed to this city, and I met Greyson for the second time on the plane when I discovered he was my seatmate. Upon arrival at four a.m. Greyson insisted that I come with him. He had a point there when I he said I would definitely get in trouble for being alone. So I came with him. His cousin Madeline gave us keys of two vacant rooms from their inn and left us alone. She said she needed more sleep and that she'd see us the next day for proper introductions and stuff.

I gave myself a mental jab for showing Greyson my moody side last night. He has, in fact, saved me majorly. He gave me a place to sleep for the night. He deserved a full explanation of why I was here.

There was a bathroom inside the room and I took a quick shower. After 15 minutes, I was opening the door of the room at precisely the exact time Greyson was knocking. His freckles, I thought as I laid eyes on his startled face.

"Morning," he greeted cheerily.

I gave him a half-smile. "Hey."

"Aunt Meredith sent me here to wake you up, but seems like you've got it under control."

"Um, I guess?" I laughed nervously.

Wait, did I just say nervously? Scratch that, I wasn't nervous at all. Just a little tense, maybe. This is the first time I'm waking up not in Oklahoma inside a house filled with people I didn't know.

"Breakfast's upstairs. Let's go," he ushered.

"Okay." I followed him down the hall towards a door at the end. Behind the door was a flight of stairs leading up. We stayed in different rooms on the fourth floor, by the way. His aunt's house's main entrance is on the sixth floor. There were no doors leading out of the fifth floor. So when you enter the same door where we first came in last night on the topmost floor, you will find a living room, a kitchen, and a dining room. There were only spiraling stairs on the corner that led you to the fifth floor, where the bedrooms were. I thought it was a pretty neat. Complicated, but cool.

Practically every piece of furniture inside his aunt's house was made of wood. I couldn't tell what type exactly, but their different textures and shades and design were beautiful. There were intricate glass ornaments hanging from the walls and ceiling. Inside them were light bulbs. Probably the largest collection of picture frames I have ever seen sat on a triangular wooden table pushed at the far end of the room. I had the urge to stop and look at the photos preserved inside them, but Greyson stepped into the kitchen and I had no choice but to follow. A curtain of colorful beads that hung on the width of the doorframe separated the kitchen from the rest of the room.