Chapter 21: Always About You

"Coming through!" I cried as I made my way through kids while carrying huge cardboard stars in my arms.

     On Monday, we resumed our Cruciform duties. With me being a props-com girl, I took my job seriously because I could see how the performers were also working their hearts out. The stars were placed on styrofoam to make them look fat. That day, I was assigned to apply glitter on them.

     As I walked across the room, I distinctly heard Jared talking to Maddie. "Have some water?" He offered her a bottle.

     In the corner of my eye, I saw Maddie looking bewildered. She hesitantly accepted it. "Th-thank you." Then she turned around and walked away.

     I happened to be close to where they were, so after Maddie left, I nudged Jared's spine with my shoulder. He whirled around.

     "Making a move?" I said teasingly while wiggling my eyebrows.

     "I dunno. Too soon?" he asked.

     I shrugged. "Your choice. See you later, alligator." Then I went towards the direction of where the other props-com kids were working. Our spot was on the corner of the room, near the back door that led to the alley where the garbage bins were so it was easier to get rid of the pile of trash we were creating.

     "Okay, here we go," I said as I placed the stars on the floor and sat cross-legged with the props-com group.

     "Give Phoebe a brush," instructed Alex.

     Matthew reached out for the brush holders, took a spare one, and gave it to me.

     "Thanks, Matthew." I took the brush and dipped it in glue mixed with water. I applied it on the surface of the cardboard and sprinkled gold dust around.

     Despite the fact that these kids knew that I was the daughter of the novelist, they treated me the same. I guess it never was a big deal to them. Some were kind of interested, though. But they only asked questions about my dad. And I answered them sincerely, except for a few tweaking that concerned too sensitive issues.

     It was an entirely different story for Jemma and Erin. Last night, after my talk with Jared, we had went back inside and I stayed for a few more minutes. Erin never had the opportunity to ask me personally why Maddie had run off from the clubhouse a few days earlier. Jared hadn't opened it up to her either. So yesterday, while we sat in the living room, she had asked, "What happened between you and Maddie the other day, Phoebe?"

     "Uh..." I glanced over across at Jared. His eyes urged me to go on. I swallowed. "We had a little misunderstanding. But we're okay now."

     "What could possibly be the reason why?"

   "She was just appalled at the fact that I never told her that my dad is Christopher Howell," I answered calmly.

     At my words, she instantly shot a glare at her sister who was standing by the piano. Jemma paid more attention. With her eyes furrowed, she clarified, "The novelist?"

     "Yup."

     "So you're Elena's daughter," Erin said.

     "Do you know my mother?" I asked, slightly aroused.

    "No, not personally. I've seen her in advertisements for their theater group. She's quite a star." She said all those with an amused look.

     "I think so. I mean, I never knew how popular my parents are," I said, quite puzzled.

     "It's a bit off that a girl like you would suddenly just end up here in New York. How did you get here?" Jemma wondered, looking at me curiously as if I was some kind of dissected frog.