Chapter 9: The Safest I Have Ever Felt

"So, you wanna go somewhere?" a voice said behind me. I turned around and saw Greyson leaning against the door frame.

     "I'm not in the mood," I told him, then I returned to my backpack, taking out my clothes and putting them inside the drawers. "Plus, it's raining out there."

     "It stopped raining." He walked towards me. "Well, what do you plan to do?"

  I felt quite nervous and awkward. I never had guy friends before and this was getting uncomfortable.

     "Can you please stop acting like we're close?" I said. God, Phoebe, why are you so rude?!

     "You've seriously got an attitude. Relax," he scoffed and furrowed his brows.

     "Just go back to your medal," I said, as I sat cross-legged on the floor. Uh-oh, wrong move. Sitting down meant you wanted to have a conversation, stupid.

     "What medal?" He took a seat on a wooden chair by the window as well.

     "From the competition." Oh well, better just carry this on.

     "Oh, that medal. It's not something I am really fond of."

     "What do you mean?"

     "I wouldn't really care if I lost that competition."

     "That's weird. Why join a contest then?" I asked.

      He considered something for a moment before saying, "It's just for the passion of having to play the piano. Sure, I was a bit down when I got second place. It's like getting a 99 for an exam, you know?"

     "I know the feeling," I replied.

    "But the satisfaction of playing the piano for a crowd is incomparable. I always love seeing their faces looking back at me with smiles drawn across them. And the sound of clapping is music to my ears." He was getting dreamy.

    I felt ashamed of myself. I never seemed to had appreciated the claps I received. To me, it was just that constant thing. It was always there, after every show or recital. No claps were ever too loud or too soft.

     "What are you thinking?" he asked, which made me snap out of my thoughts.

     "Nothing."

     "Then why do you have your thinking face on?"

     I shook my head.

     "Aw, come on. You know you can tell me what's bothering you."

    "Don't be so pushy. It doesn't concern you, okay?" I said, my voice having a slight edge to it.

     He remained silent. I hated myself for having to upset too much people. Punch, punch, another boxing round between my conscience and my subconscious.

     "Sorry," I muttered.   

     "Is this because of your parents? Why you act that that way?" he asked, leaning on his arms which rested on top of his thighs.

     I sighed. "Whatever." I gathered myself up and I left the room.

     “Hey, where are you going?" He followed me up the stairs.

     "I don't know," I called to him at my back.

   When I reached the top landing, I saw Maddie on the couch, reading a book. She looked up and was kinda irritated to see me. I met her eyes and I looked away, continuing towards the door. I wanted to talk to her, but I didn't want to do it in front of Greyson, so I put it off. She probably might hate me even more for that but yeah, right.