Chapter 10: Raging Aura

"What the hell happened to you two?" Meredith asked as Greyson and I made our way down the stairs. Everybody was in the living room on the fifth floor, watching some TV.

      "They got caught in the rain, Mom. Isn't it obvious?" Maddie answered for us without looking from the set.

      "Phoebe was chased down by some maniacs," Greyson told his aunt.

      "Ha, I bet it totally scared the shit out of her," Maddie said triumphantly.

      "Goodness, Maddie, do not swear under this roof," Mer scolded.

      "You say hell," Maddie reasoned out. "That's the same."

      "Shush," Mer continued. "Are you alright? Did they hurt you?"

      I appreciated her concern. "I'm fine. Just a bit shaken, I guess."

      "Hey, no fair, Greyson and Phoebe played in the rain!" Ruthie cried, pointing at us.

      "No, dear, they didn't play in the rain. They got caught in the rain," Mer corrected her. "Now, why don't you go dry yourselves and change first before you tell us everything?"

      We both nodded and walked down the hall towards the rooms.

       Greyson was looking at me and I was looking down.

       "You're still trembling," he said softly. We stopped in front of the guest room, which was, I was safe to safe to say, my room now.

      I looked up at him and shook my head. The trip back home was uneventful and certainly quiet, so I never had the chance to say thank you.

      "Thanks, by the way," I said.

      He half-smiled at me. "You really are trouble that came in human form, did you know that?" 

     "Yes, I am very much aware of that, thanks," I told him, slightly annoyed.

       Our eyes awkwardly met and for a moment, I thought he was going to say something then, but I spoke before he did. 

       "I'm gonna use the bathroom first, if that's okay with you."

       He seemed bewildered. "Uh, yeah, sure, go ahead. Be my guest."

      I nodded and I turned the knob of my door and went in. I immediately sat on the edge of my bed and lay my palms on my head. I felt despondent.

     "Oh my god, Phoebe, what just happened to you?" I asked myself. "Did you know you could have been killed back there? If that moron hadn't been there to save your neck, you could've been totalled. Wrecked. Gone forever. You are just so stupid, aren't you? Don't ever do that again, you silly girl. You deserve to feel miserable right now because of what happened."

    I was staring blankly at the door. I noticed there were shadows underneath them. Greyson's feet?

     I went back towards the door and I ducked, pressing my head against the floor. The small gap between the door and the floor was precisely enough for me to see Greyson's socks. He was still right outside my door. I gathered myself back up.

    I suddenly twisted the knob and forced the door open. "You're still here?" I said accusingly.

      Greyson almost jumped in surprise. "I, uh—“

      "You were listening to me, weren't you?" I demanded.

      "No, I wasn't," he defended. "Why would I do that?"