Chapter 25: Like A Bad Dream

Two Mondays before Stardust, I decided to talk to Meredith concerning my thoughts about going home.

     At precisely 7:30 AM, I heard her keys opening the door. I took a deep breath as she entered the room. I was waiting for her in Living Room #1, drinking hot chocolate while I was at it. She was a bit startled to see me already awake, as a matter of fact. These past few days, I had stayed up way past 11, and had woken up just after eight in the morning. Today was different. I thought everything would be.

     "Phoebe, honey," she exclaimed.

     I stood up and went by her side. "Good morning, Mer." I offered to take her coat and I received a thanks from her weary voice.

     "C-can I talk to you for a moment?" I asked softly.

     She seemed intrigued but nodded. "Of course, sweetheart. What is it?" She set down her things on the couch and settled down. I followed suit and seated myself on the armchair in front of her.

     "I think it's time that I go home," I blurted out.

     Her eyes widened for a little instance and her brows raised, clearly not anticipating this to come so soon. "You...you're going to leave?" she confirmed.

     I nodded. I clasped my hands while saying, "I have to. I've already stayed long enough. I don't want to make things difficult for you."

     She didn't say anything yet but after about five seconds she let out, "It's not that I want you to go, but I actually think it's best for you to go back to your family as well. I've talked to Greyson about this, and I only want what can benefit you. And I figured that they are probably missing you a lot."

     "I know that. I know I've been such a great burden to you. I came round your house with no proper announcement or warning. I know you never signed up for this. It's like adopting another kid, isn't it?" I felt quite uneasy, to be honest. Now I'm talking to her about how I made stuff hard after I made stuff hard. I should've persisted on not staying in her house right in the very first place. I had a strong feeling that this summer was one of her biggest regrets. To have me around. As usual, I was the odd one out. I was always transforming things way harder than it was normal. Meredith probably didn't show it much, but maybe she was sorry that I had to stay so long. Sorry for herself, for her kids, and for Greyson. Phoebe Howell, everybody. Specializing in provoking.

     "At the same time, I also don't want you to leave," she continued.

     "What?" Did I hear that right?

     "You've grown somewhat a soft spot in my heart, Phoebe. And I'm thankful that you ended up here with us. You've been such a darling. And to see you go or hear you go, for this matter, is a bit of a down for me. I wish you could stay longer, but I don't want to deprive you of what you want to do," she explained kindly.

     Apparently, I had over-thought things again and what I thought was right was wrong.

     "Oh," I said then let out a small unconvincing smile.

     "Is something wrong?" she pressed on, a look of worry evident on her face.

     I shook my head. "No. I should thank you. How rude of me."

    "It's alright."

     "Well, thank you so much, Meredith. I don't know where I would be now if I hadn't agreed to stay. I owe you a lot. And I don't know how could I ever repay you for this."

     She scoffed. "Don't be silly, Phoebe. You don't need to give something in return. I just have to know that you will arrive safe in Oklahoma."