Chapter 23: Horrible Memory

"You're just in time for dinner. Come here!" Meredith called out to Maddie who was in Living Room #1. The sound of the opening door announced her arrival.

     I nudged Greyson's foot under the table using my shoe. He looked up from his pasta and met my gaze. Then his eyes averted over to his cousin who had just entered the kitchen. I turned around and saw Maddie, whose face I couldn't quite understand. Her expression was kind of blank and dreamy at the same time, if that made sense.

     "Hey, how'd it go?" Greyson asked.

     Maddie placed her hands on the back of a chair. Her shoulders shot up. "Unbelievable."

     "What do you mean 'unbelievable?'" I furrowed my brows.

     "Maddie, get some dinner," Meredith told her.

     She shook her head. "I'm not really hungry. Can I skip? I'm going downstairs." Then she left. I noticed she had something in her hand. A rectangular shape. Probably a box.

     "I wonder what happened," I said, sounding a bit worried.

     Greyson waved it off. "She's fine."

     "Did Jared go home already?" Ruthie suddenly asked.

     "Jared was here?" Meredith was somewhat surprised.

     "Yeah, he was. We forgot to tell you, he asked Maddie to go on a friendly treat, as he called it," Greyson said.

     Her eyes widened. "He did?"

     "Yup."

     "I think you should start getting used to seeing Jared around here now." Greyson finished his food. He emptied his glass of water. He stood up carrying his plate and deposited it in the sink.

     "Wait, wait, wait, what do you mean? Is Maddie dating Jared?" Meredith twisted her body and tugged on Greyson's shirt.

     Greyson shrugged. "Dunno, ask her."

     Greyson's aunt sat back to her proper position. Her elbow rested on the top of the table and her chin rested on her palm. She smiled halfway. Then she chuckled in an amused manner. She whispered, "Oh, Madeline."

***

"Knock, knock," I said as I pushed the door open, revealing Maddie's room and finding her sitting by her study table, poring over something.

     When she didn't turn around to acknowledge me, I continued, "Wow, aren't we a little too early to be studying for school?"

     This time she straightened up and revolved the office chair to face me. She hadn't changed her clothes yet. "Oh, hey."

     "That's it? 'Oh, hey?'" I sat cross-legged on the edge of her bed.

     "Well, what do you expect me to do? Should I twist party poppers and light up fireworks and blow party horns just because you entered my room?" Take note, she all said these with wild arm gestures. Her sassiness was on, thank God. I was starting to think something was wrong.

     I rolled my eyes at her. "Aren't you going to tell me what happened?"

     She remained silent, just swinging the chair back and forth sideways.

     "Maddie." I was getting a bit impatient.

     She gave me a mysterious smile.

     I sighed and decided to play the wounded friend part. "Fine, if you don't want to share it, then don't. I thought we were friends."