Part 14

Another month passed, and while most of the family seemed to be in this seemingly worry free state, Pete was waiting for the other shoe to drop. He was past the end of his first trimester and had not left the mansion once. This might not seem like a big deal, given that he had spent seven years as Khun Nu's guard, he was going absolutely stir crazy. Even when he was guarding Khun Nu he go the chance to moonlight for Khun Kinn and on the very rare occasion Khun Kim, but not now. Vegas was as bad as—if not worse than—Kim in the over protective department when it came to his pregnant mate. With the potential threat of Khun Kan still lingering, no chances were being taken. Maybe after we announce the baby, Vegas will let me go shopping for maternity clothes, Pete thought hopefully. He had started to realize that the sexy skin tight pants that were part of his usually attire when not on duty were not an option anymore, and he was seriously getting tired of tracksuits.

Honestly, the years Pete spent convinced that he would never be a true omega had taken a toll on him. He could remember all the times he had seen pregnant omegas in public and wished somewhere deep in his heart that he could be one, one day. He had secretly stood in a dressing room crying when he had been no more than twenty in a maternity top imagining what it would have been like to be a mother. He didn't even remember what possessed him to go into the shop after the last doctor he had worked up the nerve to visit once he was working for the main family told him that he was an incomplete omega who would never experience a heat or carry a child. In the back of his mind, he rationalized it as being the better option, given his position as a body guard, but it never fully removed the sting from his heart.

"Vegas," Pete called from the bathroom as he stood in front of the mirror admiring the tiniest curve to his slim waist, "Can we go shopping."

His alpha wandered into the room to run appraising eyes over his mate, "What do we need that you need to leave the mansion for it."

Pete turned soft almost desperate eyes on his mate before he ran a hand down his belly, "I need new clothes." Vegas' eyes followed the course of Pete's hand before they stopped on the rounding of Pete's lower belly where their child was growing.

"Those can be ordered and delivered anytime you want, baby," Vegas told him, "I'm pretty sure Chay just had new clothes delivered this week for himself."

Pete's smile faltered and he tried to correct it before his mate noticed, but Vegas was the most hyper alert person Pete knew other than Khun Nu.

His alpha moved further into the room and draped his arms around Pete's shoulders, "What's the matter?"

"It's just—" Pete's voice wavered, "I never expected to have this." He explained indicating his little belly, "It's—" He stopped and swallowed back a wave of emotion that swelled up like a flash flood, "I was told I was broken, and that I would never get to be a mother, and now I'm trapped here and I can't even enjoy the experiences like going out and buying my first pair of maternity pants. I just want to treasure every part of this miracle, Vegas." Pete told him as a tear slid down his smooth, fair cheek.

Vegas' heart clenched at Pete's expression. He never wanted to see the smile absent from Pete's face, and the explanation tugged at his heart painfully. He didn't want to deprive his mate of anything that could possibly make him happy. "How about I take you this weekend? We will bring a truly ridiculous amount of bodyguards to make Kinn and Uncle Korn happy, and you can try on every pair of pants in the store if you want. We can even start planning the nursery at the minor family's mansion."

"The nursery?" Pete sounded surprised, "But, I thought your father wouldn't let you come home now."

"That's why I was in meetings all day today, Pet," Vegas explained, "Uncle has forced my father out, in a way."