Chapter 18- Hide-and-Go-Seek

Chapter 18

I'm starting a new book called Life's Lemonade... details will be up later

Thanks!

~Dae

***************

(Jenna's POV)

It has been two days since the text message appeared. Two days of Liam sobbing uncontrollably, two days of Zayn locking himself in his room without food or water, two days since I left Harry a letter to explain what happened and left him to go look for them.

FLASHBACK

"Jenna do you know where Daelyn and Tori went?" Liam asked me anxiously, his voice mixed with fear.

Gulp.

"I went to go to the bathroom and she was gone." he finished, throwing me a pleading look.

This was the first time I felt scared of Liam Payne, the teddy bear who would never hurt anyone.

"No, I think she went to Starbucks to get you a coffee." I lied smoothly, the words slipping off my tongue as easily as water would flow in a stream. The brown haired boy shrugged and smiled at me briefly before walking out of my room.

SLAM!

I sighed in relief and slid to the floor, my back pressed up against the dresser as i held my head in mt hands. Why did I lie so easily?

BEEP!

BUZZ!

BEEP!

1 New Message from: Unknown

To: 519-284-4642

You lie so easily because you were born into it. Take a blast from the past and meet me at 21 Rodney Bulivard. Your old home.

xx Anonymous

Here we go again. 

FLASHBACK OVER

This is it. I took a shaky step toward the door in front of me and rapped my knuckles on the hard wood. I stepped back politely, waiting for someone to answer. No one came. Maybe I had the wrong address? I prayed that was the answer.

No such luck.

Suddenly the door opened and a middle aged guy stepped out. "May I help you?" he asked me.

I nodded, taking a step towards him, "Yes I lived here a while ago, like three months, and I think I forgot something in the house. It is very important to me." I lied.

He nodded in understanding and proceeded to usher me in. I stepped into the small house and shrugged off my coat, taking in all the smells of it. It smelt like how I remembered, musty and woody, like an old house should smell like.

"Miss-?"

"Jenna," I replied, turning to him, "Jenna Marks."

"Ahh Miss Marks," the man sighed, leaning against the counter, "a man called for you, I think he's your father. He said you'd be stopping by the house today and told me to let you know that he thought you left the item in your old room, our office."

My blood turned white and my face paled. "Did you catch his name?" I asked steadily, trying to keep my heart rate down.

"Ahh yes Simon Marks. Your father."

Simon. My dad was named Simon. Whoever was doing this to me knew his or her stuff.

"Yes that's my dad, Simon Jr," I lied, " I thought you nay have mixed him up with my grandpa." I lied again. My grandpa was dead.

"No he sounded to be in his mid fifties."

Well cross Dad out. He was in his late forties, my parents had me young.

"That's my dad," I replied with a chuckle, "can I show myself upstairs? I haven't a lot of time, I have plans for two o'clock."

He nodded and went to sit down on the couch.

I waited until he had his head turned then I dashed as fast as I can up the stairs and ran down the hallway to the office. Musty aroma's of paper and lilac came to my nostrils as I entered my old room. If I was an stalker or kidnapper where would I hide a clue or something of importance? The classic place came to my mind. Under the mat or in a dresser. However there was no dresser, just a filing cabinet....

I glanced around quickly before darting to the small grey filing cabinet. Pulling the first drawer open I shoved my hand inside and looked through the filing cabinet.

Rosanna Hughes, Sedrick Rogers...

Jennifer Marks.

I froze and reacting I slashed my hand forward to reach my file. I grabbed it and sat down on the sofa behind me. As I opened it I froze when I saw the pictures. Pictures of me as a toddler learning how to walk, taken from the upstairs window. Pictures of me at school, taken from a closet. Pictures of me with Jeff....

I froze again as a picture caught my eye. It was me as a baby, taken somewhere in the hallway. I was alone and just born. Alone. Writing on the crib where I lay in the picture caught my eye.

The words Jennifer Payne were written on the tag of the crib, scrawled in a faded sharpie.

Suddenly all the memories came together. The reason that Liam was always at my house as a child, the reason he was always near. The reason his mother and father had always looked at me with such a fond look and love in their eyes. The reason that I had dark brown hair when my parents had blonde hair.

I was adopted.